Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I own a '04 2500HD duramax with an edge chip and 4" exhaust. Lately, as I am driving and I put it into 4 hi (it doesn't matter at what speed), I hear a loud clunking noise. It doesn't do this at rest. It seems to be coming from either the front driver's side or from the transfer case. My local dealer hosed me for $191 to tell me that they didn't have a solution to my problem. They took apart the front end; they said there was nothing wrong. Then they checked the transfer case oil; it showed normal. They checked with GM; GM said that it probably had something to do with my oversize 285/65 tires. I believe that to be not true. I know that many of you have lift kits and much bigger tires on your trucks. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
that clunk is not good. until the problem is solved only put it in 4wd at a stop.

it sounds like parts are meshing when shifting on the fly. did your stealer take it for a test ride? find out, cause if they didn't then they still don't know it exists.

then get ahold of the area service tech and try to get him involved.

sevice departments that can't replicate the problem, then don't contact the owner to have them replicated it for them is a POOR service department.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think this was covered in a thread a while back (it dealt mostly with the droan while towing). It is pretty much normal. One guy even went to his dealership and drove 2 different brand new trucks off the lot with his service manager and they both did it. Mine was doing it really bad, then I changed the front diff fluid and transfer case and it seemed to get a little quieter. In the same thread, it was stated that if you put it in 4wd under light acceleration, it wouldn't do it as bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts