Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,865 Posts
Are all 4 tires the same rolling diameter?
Also, is there fluid in the transfer case?

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Registered
529 Posts
Electronic or manual shift? What speeds are you running when engaging? Are you turning at all when engaging?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Also, is there fluid in the transfer case?
^^^^
If your truck hasn’t had the pump rub fix done you may be out of oil.
If your transfer case oil hasn’t been changed in a while it wouldn’t hurt to put some new oil in.
Maybe this will get moved to (Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010) for more responses.

·
Administrator
15,998 Posts
Thread relocated over to "Drivetrain 2001-2010"

:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the tires are the same size. I’ve been shifting with the electronic switch at slow to no speed going straight. Just did a quick search on how to check the fluid. Do you guys recommend over filling through the speed sensor? Also people are saying use full synthetic 5 -30 because it won’t evaporate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All the tires are the same size. I’ve been shifting with the electronic switch at slow to no speed going straight. Just did a quick search on how to check the fluid. Do you guys recommend over filling through the speed sensor? Also people are saying use full synthetic 5 -30 because it won’t evaporate.
I fill it to the bottom of the fill hole on the back of the case and use Merchant Auto transfer case fluid, haven't had a problem and my fluid level is the same now as it was about a year ago when I changed it last.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve never changed this fluid so I’m figuring I probably should. Drain it fill it till it spills out the fill hole and call it good right? Anyone know how many quarts to fill?

·
Registered
529 Posts
2 qts of Genuine GM Fluid 88900402 Auto Trak II Transfer Case Fluid

·
Registered
4,441 Posts

Are you sure this is the right fluid? I don't think the O.P. has an transfer case with the "auto" option. Most likely it should just need a DexIII fluid (at least, that's what GM specced for '06).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bueler! It’s a 2007 Chevy Silverado duramax 6.6 classic work truck with a Allison automatic transmission please let me know

·
Premium Member
17,865 Posts
In my experience, the autotrac fluid won't harm it, or change it's operating characteristics, but, Dexron III is the preferred oil.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Seriously, unless you have an electric shifting transfer case, and one of the buttons has "Auto" on it, you don't need Autotrac fluid. It probably will work, but

1) it's more expensive than the fluid you need
2) it's not the fluid you need

If you need confirmation, your owners manual will say what fluid to use. If you don't have the paper version, you can download the pdf of it free from gm's web site.

Reactions: HWI

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just went to Napa and they said auto trac II
That’s the wrong oil for your transfer case.

Here we go again on the confusion on what transfer case we have in our trucks.
We have the (Manual Transfer Case) After 20 years on here we would think to get this right.

2006 Diesel Supplement Manual Page 6-16

Pickup Models: Manual Transfer Case
DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. Look for “Approved for the H-Specification” on the label.
That does take AUTO-TRAK II Fluid

I use 5w-30 Mobile 1

To confuse more people again WE DO NOT HAVE THE (Automatic Transfer Case) Trucks like Tahoe etc..
AUTO-TRAK II Fluid.
(GM Part No. U.S. 12378508, in Canada 10953626).

Please correct me if I’m wrong. No hard feelings.

Reactions: HWI

·
Registered
529 Posts
My bad if I misinformed anyone. When I think of manual I think of pulling a lever, not pushing a button. Question, whats special about the AUTO-TRAK II Fluid? It's to the point where you can't keep track of what fluid goes where anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,865 Posts
Autotrac fluid has an additive similar to a limited slip additive, but has an atf base, as opposed to a gear oil base.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts

Do NOT use the auto trac II fluid.
That is for the 1500 series with the auto 4wd button, those cases have clutches inside where the 2500 does NOT.

And this reminds me, I need to change the fluid in my case.....

I have been using 5w-30 synthetic motor oil with some PTFE additive in mine since 2006, it runs quieter, and besides, it is nothing but chain and gears in the case....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts