Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving a 4WD truck with the vehicle in 2WD does either on of the front axle shafts rotate?

It appears to me that the left axle rotates while the right axle is disengaged. Is this correct?

My stock front diff was full of metal at around 106,000 miles. Don't understand why since I don't drive in 4WD on the road and it could have very few miles on it engaged. It replaced with a Jasper Remanufacturered diff and after about 30,000 miles it also has metal in it.

The only constant rotating part is the left front drive axle and bearing or so it seems.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Both front axles always turn since they are direct connected to the hubs. They have to. They are just disconnected in the differential so they don't run with the front driveshaft until you put in in 4x4.

·
Banned
735 Posts
Don't know if you know this,but you gotta change the fluid after about 500-1000 miles when the diff gears are new. This is a break-in period. You will usually find alot of crap comin out directly after the break-in. If you don't change the fluid, premature wear can happen. And NAR is correct, both shafts turn 100% of the time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing the fluid was in the 01-02 manuals and not in the 03.

However, I bought the truck with 23,000 miles on it so I don't know if that was done. For both diffs to have excessive (and I mean EXCESSIVE) metal at the same time makes me think it was overload severely and likely slammed around in 4WD in the fields or a construction site. In the rear diff there as marks in the ring gear root at the outer edges that look like it was hit with a hammer and bent. This is a very unusual failure.

Just trying to get a handle on what caused this very unusual failure. Iam a little concerned about the transmission also since the diff failures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If both front half shafts are not turning, then one of your CV joints is broken in two. And, if it is not turning then that means you are spinning one side which creates an enormous about of diff speed when going down the road. You must absolutly verify that both are rotating. If they aren't, I would bet that is the reason for your failures.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are both turning. The replacement diff came in today and is being replaced. Should be ready tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts