Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello was just wondering what would be better the 4" or 5" MBRP cat back exhaust

·
Registered
419 Posts
A lot will depend on how much hp you want. If you thinking of going to the 500 plus club then I would install a 5" system. If your not thinking of getting that much then a 4" will be plenty.

But remember as long as the cat in installed that will be a restrictive point. Now I am not telling you to remove it, but it will get choked down there.

But its your truck and its your choice and either systems would complement the truck very nice and allow you to add many more mods. Remember the exhaust will help more with EGT's rather than adding much power, but it will add some. So as you reduce the EGT's you can add more power from modules or programmers and still keep it cool.

You might also want to think about replacing the very restrictive air box with an AFE stage 2 air intake system too. Get the truck to breathing good and she will wake right up. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you that was very informative information, I am eventually going to go with the edge juice to add more power but not in the 500 range. I will be towing an 8000 lb trailer, so lowerring EGT's is important.I am probaly going to leave the cat on, I want to eliminate throwing any codes. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Won't hurt, would just be more for looks in your case. Its your choice. As was mentioned, for your case a 4" and 5" will function the same, so its just up to you which you prefer based on looks and thickness of your wallet, as the 5" systems cost a few more (not a lot) Wendy's Bacon Cheese Burgers ;)
(I know thats from a cheesy commercial but I think its clever and funny)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Smokeshow, sounds like my best bet is a 4" cat back mbrp or would a TTS cat back system be better??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just got the 5" MBRP and installed it yesterday. Bought it from lagunaspeed.com. According to them, MBRP just released the 5" for the duramax this past tuesday and I received it thursday. I ordered it a month ago! Anywho, The system went on like a dream. It took me an hour and a half from start to finish including the tip and putting away the tools. It's a cat back and like the previous reply's have stated, the cat is the chocking point. The change in exhaust note was suprisingly minimal. A very pleasent deep tone but barely any louder than stock, of course that's without a load. So far, I would highly recomend the MBRP system. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just got the 5" MBRP and installed it yesterday. Bought it from lagunaspeed.com. According to them, MBRP just released the 5" for the duramax this past tuesday and I received it thursday. I ordered it a month ago! Anywho, The system went on like a dream. It took me an hour and a half from start to finish including the tip and putting away the tools. It's a cat back and like the previous reply's have stated, the cat is the chocking point. The change in exhaust note was suprisingly minimal. A very pleasent deep tone but barely any louder than stock, of course that's without a load. So far, I would highly recomend the MBRP system. Good luck!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
--? The very restrictive intake ? Humm Id put the dough towards a programmer or module when they come out, gauges whatever. Any minor pressure change in the intake tract is made up for by a tiny change in turbo load/speed. You may actually do harm by the changing the resonant freq of the intake tract.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just got the MBRP 4'' cool duals exhaust...if your going for the juice/attitude then i would stick to the 4'' exhaust ...from what i have heard 5'' is overkill for anything under 500 hp

·
Registered
10 Posts
A few pics after installed.

Have any pictures?:ro)
Haven't noticed any huge improvements with this exhaust over the stock but I'm sure it is because the Cat is still in place for now. Also added some new pics to My Garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Haven't noticed any huge improvements with this exhaust over the stock but I'm sure it is because the Cat is still in place for now. Also added some new pics to My Garage.
SS or Alumized? Were did you purchase it from?
How many $$$?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Aluminized and caught the Christmas holiday special at lagunaspeed.com,(Saw there ad in diesel power mag), 10% off and free shipping. I think they have a free shipping special on now. It was very slow arriving but they said it was because MBRP hadn't released it yet:rolleyes: . Who Knows. They list the cat back for 391.00 and the turbo back for 525.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.