Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there exhaust kits for those of us in CA with Catalytic converters?

Do they help with EGT's when used behind a CAT?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
We make a Stainless Steel cat back system for your truck. You can find them on our Web site at www.ttspowersystems.com

They will still reduce backpressure and exhaust temp on the trucks with converters. We see about 100 deg reduction on trucks with converters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diesel Tech said:
We make a Stainless Steel cat back system for your truck. You can find them on our Web site at www.ttspowersystems.com

They will still reduce backpressure and exhaust temp on the trucks with converters. We see about 100 deg reduction on trucks with converters.

What EGT reductions do your systems experience without the CAT? BTW, the system on your site is Turbo back. I didn't see the CAT back system. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The system without a cat will see reduction in the 100 - 150 degree range. You can also see the exhaust in the Feb.2004 issue of Chevy High Performance as there is a feature article on our Duramax products. I will tell the web-site manager about having the wrong picture up for the D-max, thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Diesel Tech....... maybe you can tell me. i've asked around and no one seems that have an answer.

Would there be any benefit to having say... 5" exhaust instead of the 4"?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
None, we've run 3.5", 4" and 5". Always useing the same muffler so we could see the differences in just the pipe size. Believe it or not there was no difference in all three sizes! Now if you plan to move the Hp above 400Rwhp the 3.5" started to show losses over the 4" and 5". This is the reason we decided to build our systems in 4 ".

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If there are no difference in flow characteristics then wouldn't adding just a free flowing muffler do the same thing as your kit? Do you sell a muffler that would bolt in place of the factory unit?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
For a stock truck adding a free flow muffler will help but most customer add Hp. That's when the smaller size becomes a problem. We donot have a stock muffler replacement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a dumb question:

If the Turbo down pipe is 3" (not sure if it is) going into a 3" inlet CAT and then to a 4" aftermarket pipe and muffler, how much does the 4" system reduce backpressure when the bottleneck is seemingly upstream at the turbo downpipe and CAT?

Here's my other question: does anyone make a high performance CAT with 4" inlets and outlet? I want a 4" system but don't want to eliminate the CAT as I like the fact that my motor runs clean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Catalitic converter and diesel = oil and vinegar. Do not put a standard gas motor free flow cat on a diesel. Soot will destroy/plug any regular cat causing high egt's. The 03 and early 04 cat is not a true cat but more of a soot trap. The new 04 motor will have a true cat specially designed for a diesel that actually causes some sort of catalytic reaction. What a savy Californian can do is buy a cat back exhaust and then buy the Banks down pipe. It's not really a down pipe but a pipe that replaces the entire cat assembly. This allows the cat to be reinstalled in about 20 minutes if California ever starts smog testing diesels. I've got this setup with a Banks exhaust.

P.S. This set up is supposed to be for off road use only
Edited by: MOTO HEAD

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
We offer a 4" front pipe for the 2001 Duramax or 2002 - 2004 LB7 non cat model. Now I have no way of knowing what truck you might install it on but..................................................

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got a 4" into 5" from duramaxstore.com and they thru in adaptors for free. they are 4-3.5 and 3.5- 5". i decided to keep my cat for warranty reasons, it will probably fall off after the warranty is up. I think the cat keeps my system from being to loud, if there is such a thing. I am sure my cat is hampering performance. i am not going to chip it until i have 75k miles on it.in the mean time i drive it like i stole it. most people do not expect a crew dually to be driven like a sports car.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
painter

Do the shift kit and converter while you wait. Trans will be in better shape to accept power at 75K miles.

mike

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Diesel Tech said:
The system without a cat will see reduction in the 100 - 150 degree range. You can also see the exhaust in the Feb.2004 issue of Chevy High Performance as there is a feature article on our Duramax products. I will tell the web-site manager about having the wrong picture up for the D-max, thanks.

Web site still doesn't show the CAT back system....

Some of us with LLY's coming are interested, just not sure yet how to go since the chip guys aren't up to speed yet, there's probably no hurry.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Zeeb

I personally own a LLY and will put the exhaust on in a few weeks. I've had it for a week now and just trying to put a few miles on it before the exhaust and PL II go in. It will be at the dyno day in LA.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Diesel Tech,

Where could one find a retailer/dealer for the tts downpipe back exhaust system. I could not find a price on your website. I think I remember someone stating that your system has no drone and is not much louder than stock, so I am very interested(don't want to wake up the baby when she's napping in the truck while we are towing).

·
Registered
313 Posts
MOTO HEAD said:
...This allows the cat to be reinstalled in about 20 minutes if California ever starts smog testing diesels. QUOTE]

Just got my first diesel so this is new to me - I'm also in Cali - are you sure they don't smog test diesels here? That'd be great news if it's correct - one less thing to worry about.

I just assumed they did smog test diesels since Cali has laws for everything and it's a bunny-hugger's paradise. Plus I see diesels dumping a ton of smoke out the back end when the driver gets on the pedal, so I'd presumed they weren't the most eco-friendly engines out there.

So really, no smog testing?!!!??

·
Registered
611 Posts
No smog in california

·
Registered
72 Posts
no smog in peoples republic of cali
if you keep the cat go huge on exhaust, I shoulda lost the muffler, but the wife had a fit. I will do extensive alterations to the system after warranty is up
then i can turn up the noise and not worry about soot traps

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Throw in a BANKS Monster Exhaust. They sell cat-backs and I just installed one 2 weeks ago. Gotta love it.

My Rig:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts