Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size exhaust? i love the look of the 5 in. i dont really plan on getting a tip for whatever system i do get. i heard you lose a lot of low end power with a 5 in system on a truck that isn't pushing a ton of power cuz theres so little back pressure. what do yall think?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
o and i want to get a turbo back. i heard a 4 in turbo back screams and sounds sick, so im kinda thinkin about that one

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
A 4 in. will work for any amount of power you can push with a stock turbo.A 5in is overkill,but they look and sound cool!
Back pressure is a non issue on a turbo charged engine!The more air and fuel you can push,the more power you will make!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well what i was told was that the engine runs off some of the back pressure, so when you take almost all of it away by opening up the system so much with a 5 incher, you lose a lot of low end

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
well what i was told was that the engine runs off some of the back pressure, so when you take almost all of it away by opening up the system so much with a 5 incher, you lose a lot of low end
Yup,but mostly on a gasser.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spoke with the MBRP rep at SEMA about this exact issue. Basically, I have my truck to tow my 5th wheel, and I don't plan to get a programmer anytime soon, so he said to go with the 4" single with the cat-delete option. He said that with the 5", they had data that some of the low-end torque was compromised but they screemed at wide open. Since I was towing, he said to stick with the 4".

-C

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the towing that i do is light compared to your 5th wheel. you think a 5 in would be ok for me?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
5" magnaflow worked for me! I agree about losing some lowend when you open up your exhaust too much. I think I lost a lil' on my ctd. Course that's a whole different animal, but I thin the theory still holds true. After putting on this magnaflow it sounds AWESOME! Very very mellow at light throttle. But, when you put it to the wood it flat out screams. And it comes with a funky necked down muffler(that is supposed to help with the loss or seeming loss of low end) that I was contemplating on not using. I'm Glad I did. It turned out just right.
If you care here is some reading on it.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174098&page=5
Turboback was just under 5 bills with a tip. Seemed like a good deal. 4" or 5" just get one turboback is the way to go though!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 5 Inch Magnaflow Turbo-Back is what I'm looking at as well so I did a bit of investigative work about the loss of low end power and the possibility of throwing EGR Code or a Turbo Back Pressure Sensor. The loss of power doesn't seem to be a big problem but there is a strong possibility of seeing the EGR Code. I was also told by a rep. at Superchips that the Variable Vain Turbo in my LBZ is back pressure dependant as described below...

Reply from Superchips Rep. "I could only recommed doing a catback exhaust, due to the varible vain turbo that the D-maxes have. The larger downpipe could throw off the back pressure sensor, that tells the computer how much to adjust the turbo for maximum boost. "

I still want the 5" Magnaflow Turbo Back System so someone please confirm this will work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have run the magnaflow 5" cat back system and love it. I put it on at about 3000 miles on truck so I was still in the break in period but the first trip I gained 1 mpg and it has stayed that way. Now at 8500 miles. I plan on putting on a front pipe off of an older truck (01-04) by cutting off the flange. this will acomplish the cat delete. As far as codes read in Kennedy Diesel'shttp://www.kennedydiesel.com site he list all engine/RPO /vin numbers and what each may have happen after changing exhaust. That is where the egr plate and finger stick come in also talked about a boost stick but I'm going to have to read more to see what it does. The system does get a little louder after use but until you lose the cat it is like running two mufflers. As a whole I love the system, installed on the ground no jacks in 1 hour and the 6" tip sure gives others tip envy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i agree i love the look of a 5 in i just dont wanna lose any low end!! i read about magnaflows neck down design to about 3 in inside the muffler and supposedly this takes car of the low end loss becuase it creates a little back pressure for your engine. as the the egr codes, i dont know if ill get a tuner with an egr delete or a blocker plate. ive heard the blocker plate makes your engine run a lot better. ill have to do more research

·
Registered
141 Posts
5" system no cat!!!!! did not notice any low end power loss......

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sweet thats what i was gonna go with

did anybody notice low end loss with a 5 in system?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i had no loss what so ever with mine just get a 5" :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd say go with the 5" if that is the way that you were leaning..........I was just reciting what the MBRP rep told me. If you aren't towing much, then have fun with the bigger tubes! :rockit:

The only other thing I might add is, I've heard/read that the the clearance on the spare tire gets tight with the bigger tubes. I have no experience, as my 4" with stock tire is all good, but you may want to look a little before you order.

........and by the way, you should order from DSTRBD at Performance Truck Products. He helped ease my my mind by answering my numerous stupid questions, sold it at the best price I could find and shipped me the exhaust in 2 days. :hail:

-C

·
Registered
524 Posts
Like my 5" MBRP pipe.............:)

1 - 20 of 458 Posts