Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do most of the 4" systems come in pieces or are there 1 piece welded together?
i've had problems in the past getting clamps tight enough before they break and am leary.
also does the 4" really make a big differance in MPG and HP
i need a little more of both and don't really want to chip it
next is where to buy on line ? or local stores
Thanks for any help
Al

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pieces.

All the ones I have seen come in pieces. I think the first reason for this is to be able to make them more easily shipped; and the second reason is that it it allows them to be more easily fine tuned(fit) to each vehicle.

Josh

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
i've had problems in the past getting clamps tight enough before they break and am leary.
Thanks for any help
Al
You won't find many, if any one peice systems. Since you have an 01 with no cat you can get a full 4" system, install it, then have the joints welded for peace of mind since you won't need to remove it again.

yes, with 4" you get a big decrease in EGT, quicker spool up, and in most cases(more so with you LB7 guys) you get a gain in mileage. A good friend of mine has an 01 and I sold him a 4" exhaust system. he gained 90 more miles per tank.

As for where to buy, use our supporting vendors. they have a section at the very top of the forum and they will make you a great deal, but most of all they will have good support and service being a Supporting Vendor.

good luck
B.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
They all come in pieces. How many pieces will vary. Some have 2 extensions (one for crew cab and one for long bed. Personally, I prefer to do it with less joints and have mine set up with 3 pipes plus the muffler vs 4 and sometimes 5 pieces.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
makomanfish,

All the aftermarket systems will be in parts that clamp together. Your clamp issue is really only ever a problem if you get the 304 systems as 304 is very very hard to bend and clamp together, 409 and aluminized will seal easily. The MBRP systems we stock have a one piece tail pipe, looks and fits great, you can get them in aluminized, 409 and 304, and even in duals if you want. The AFE systems are avaiable in aluminized and 409 stainless, they have a two piece tail pipe, soem folks like it as you get to "custom" adjust the outlet location this way. Different strokes etc. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help. We have a sale on the AFE right now too, very very good deal for site members.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
60 Posts
Look into S.S. Band clamps. I just did mine and will never do another exhaust job using U bolt type clamps again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for any help
Al

The reason almost ALL aftermarket kits are in pieces, is because of shipping. You figure a truck is about 10' long or so, (on the short side) well fedx and ups will not except anything over 84" long. They start adding additonal charges...... That is the main reason why the are broke down to pieces. As for your clamps leaking, get better clamps. I could help you out with some clamps.....good ones used on heavy duty trucks. If you like PM me, and I'll give you a distributor near ya.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does 4" make a difference.....Stock is 3-1/2". If you do the math going to 4" is about a 32% increase in area. Mine's still stock but I'm considering 4".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does 4" make a difference.....Stock is 3-1/2". If you do the math going to 4" is about a 32% increase in area. Mine's still stock but I'm considering 4".
Look at your turbo, if you want the most volocity (sp) the exhaust could be as large as the outlet on the turbo..... Alot of manufactures neck it down for some reason.....I think Dodge is the only one that uses 4" off the turbo. 4" systems are usually a real good choice for an upgrade......

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ken R,

Yes you're correct, that 32% will allow the turbo to spool faster and drop EGT's significantly based on your mods etc.

By the way another reason the systems are shipped as seperate pieces is lots of trucks designs will not allow you to install a one piece system unless the body is off the truck, that's how they are installed at the factory and it's real easy then.

If you want the best system value out there call us we have the MBRP and the AFE systems and will be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.