Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently paid Alabama $4,200 to get my truck back! It started with the truck not stating. Supposedly the fuel shut off stuck. SO, to be nice to my truck, I decided to spent about $300 extra and replace the injection pump with a "Reman" one. BIG MISTAKE! Pensacola diesel sold me one for $400. paid $600 labor to R+R it. Ran on 7 and smoked terrible!
Returned that one, paid $600 to install second one. Worse! Now it runs on 8, rattles, and smokes white smoke terrible!
I ended up returning that one, and buying a "BRAND NEW" $1,800 injection pump! Plus a new timing chain. Now it runs sweeter than ever! NO SMOKE! And idles SOO SMOOTH!
Pensacola Diesel says the is only one pump for an '89 6.2 Detroit diesel. Well, "Summit Racing" shows 13 different ones! My new one was matched by VIN, and now "NO SMOKE" and runs very smooth. Truck ONLY has 500,000 plus miles on it. Trans was rebuilt about 5 years ago. As it seeped fluid. I turned down a $10,000 offer last year. No rust, dents, and interior in "Very Good" condition. A/C works great. Cab for five MEN, 8 foot bed. I'm 77 so I'll be selling it before TWO MANY more years. Why the "L" did I have so much trouble? And mechanic with decades of experience out there that can explain this to me? I really would love to know. My 1988 VW Rabbit diesel, I had injection pump and injectors rebuilt by the Bosch diesel center in Toronto. After I reinstalled the pump and injectors, it got 65 mpg on my trip from Toronto to Florida! I LOVE diesels! Great torque, excellent fuel economy, and after 30 years, on a $14,000 Silverado new? What can anyone complain about? IT still drives like a "New Truck"!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yikes! so are there that many variations of the injection pumps out there? Did they change over model years? or were the first ones the right model, just poorly rebuilt? That's crazy...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! so are there that many variations of the injection pumps out there? Did they change over model years? or were the first ones the right model, just poorly rebuilt? That's crazy...
My '89 is a naturally aspirated one. With CARB requirements in CA that might explain some of it. But there are automatic trans, and other options that might call for slight differences? It sure is nice to get 25 mpg highway on this Silverado!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,291 Posts
Yes there were many 6.2 pumps with different calibration internally but generally the most sought out pumps were the 4554 J code emission pump and the J code early 80s 4153 pump.The delivery valves had a larger orifice than what the light duty C code pumps did,etc.

In most cases a guy is better off buying a new pump since eBay does have a lot of them.I bought the 4153 pump from eBay for $700 and it was clearly a new old stock item that has performed absolutely perfect when I installed it on a previous 6.2.I still have that pump.It doesn’t have many miles on it.I’m estimating under 5000 miles altogether.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts