Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some honest opinions from some of you that previously had a 3rd Gen. Which is better? I confess I haven't followed the 4th Gen, since I have been totally happy with my '06 Dually. Last week, a 19-year old ran a red light, now my truck has about 18K of damage. I can probably get the Insurance to fix it, but not sure I want one that extensively damaged. At the same time, I don't know much about the 4th Gen. Opinions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love both my trucks, the only thing i dont like about my 08 LMM is the fact that i have to keep it stock till the warranty expires...that does sound like alot of damage, if it were me i'd write it off and step up to an LMM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, among other things they say the frame has to be replaced. That makes me a bit nervous. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
69 Posts
18000 worth of damage sounds to me like insurance would call it a total. I am sure 18000is more than 1/2 the value of the truck, "There" words not mine. Good luck. The Lmm is a good truck if you go that route. Good deals to be had on new or used diesels.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
You can do alot to a lbz, and remove it if need be, the lmm "remembers". The dpf costs ~20% mpg vs the lbz (some are worse then others). Both have similar power, the lmm is quieter in cab. I can efilive my lbz, (without being stupid) without warranty concerns, anything beyond intake, dpf back, and rims & tires will leave a footprint on the lmm. Lmm had 100k powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would take the cash out from the insurance company and get ya a 08/09 truck. I have a 08 and glad that I bought it and now you will pay a lot less for the same truck that I bought in june 30 08.

I hope things will work out for ya..sorry to hear about the crash at least you are still able to tell us about the crash.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Get the LMM hands down.

...... The dpf costs ~20% mpg ......

Get real. :eek: 20% of a 26 gallon tankful is over five gallons. (26gal x .2 = 5.2 gallons).

Let's see...Regen takes 20 mins (1/3 of an hour) ...drops from 20 MPG to 10 MPG on the DIC at 60 MPH.... So instead of using 1/3 of a gallon in that 20 mins and 20 miles.... Uses 2/3 of a gallon.......... Think I can spare an extra 1/3 of a gallon every so often....

Even if it regen every tank full that's 1% not 20% as stated above. (.33gal/26 gal tank = .01)

A 20% difference is more likely the difference in driving habits = lead foot.

;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
:)Get you a new LMM. If you can afford it. I am absolutely thrilled with mine. When you tow a 10,000# 5er from Nashville to Birmingham at 65 with CC on and it downshifts 4 times what else do you need. By the way, 2 of those downshifts were to slow the truck down.
:lol2::driver::lol2::driver::lol2::driver:​

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah the same thing happened to my 07 (classic) truck the insurance first said 18000 (his) then mine totaled it out, have never been happier the lmm is awesome and the inside is alot nicer at least on the ltz, takes you back to zero miles you can start fresh, like other one said the only thing that sucks is the dpf and the warranty

·
Registered
549 Posts
With the frame bent if they fix it the resale value of it is very low go to your dealer and give them the claim number and get a price on a new one. I have an LMM and it is quiet powerful, and trouble free. Works for me. When I bought mine I bought replacement insurance for five years.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I had an 06 and went to an 08. I could only ever get 15mpg with the 06, but I have gotten 23.5 in the 08

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.