Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from Parker, AZ earlier today, heading back home to San Diego, unloaded. Went to pass a slow moving car, and lost all power, nearly going head on into an oncoming truck. Pulled over, shut off the engine (see, I do listen to you guys and try to pay attention!), let it sit for a couple of minutes, and started it back up. Engine light is on, but I pull out into traffic anyway. Minimal power, finally, slowly, get up to max speed of 65 mph, with automatic fuel shut down occuring at 2,000 rpm.

I suspect an EGR code, since I've thrown them 2 or three times previously. Anybody else experiencing this? Before it was just a nuisance to get back into the dealer, but today, with the loss of power and near miss of oncoming traffic, I am seriously concerned. Thank God I wasn't pulling a trailer.

It will go into the dealer tomorrow. Any input from you guys before I go in is appreciated. I love my truck, but today was scary.

PS. No mods; stock truck, 31,500 mile, 2005. 265 tires are the only non stock items. Thanks for any input.....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Being that your from California you can't just unplug it. You need to disable it either with the FS, Predator version 2.02, or EFI live. The EGR is not a good thing on diesels, period. It is purely an emissons thing. Good Luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is California the only state using them? And, what happens if I do disable it?

·
Registered
747 Posts
So is California the only state using them? And, what happens if I do disable it?
All the trucks from 04.5 on up have an EGR. But since your from California, your truck is more sensitive than mine. If you unplug it you'll probably set a CEL (check engine light). The truck will still run fine if the glow of the engine symbol doesn't bother you. The FS and BP eliminates the code being thrown if unplugging doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I used to unplug mine and it would run fine. Just a CEL like turBeau said. You have a problem and I'm thinking it's fuel supply related. Dealer should be able to diagnose as long as they can duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to unplug mine and it would run fine. Just a CEL like turBeau said. You have a problem and I'm thinking it's fuel supply related. Dealer should be able to diagnose as long as they can duplicate the problem.
Yeah, you know how it goes with the dealer duplicating the problem though....!

Starting to get quite the file on the same issue though. I have to think that they are just doing a quick fix to shut the light off, and that they need to fix this for once and all. Almost head on with another vehicle, not to mention scaring the $%#@ outta me, my girlfriend, and the driver I was attempting to pass, is not something I care to experience again.

Okay, I'm heading off to the dealer. Thanks for the input. Hopefully they can get ot resolved correctly this time......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, my mistake. Wasn't EGR related at all, but 2 dead injectors. Dealer is blaming it on poor quality fuel. I only fuel at Pacific Pride card lock sites. High volume turnover site. Sounds like Chevy maybe not wanting to take responsibility, but trying to blame the fuel. I asked how to avoid this in the future. No real suggestion, "but the problem is the fuel" (ya, right). Still love my truck though, especially since I am in a Cavalier now (Gag!).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
pac pride is all i use gas or diesel and have never had a problem with the fuel and what part of CA do you live in

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Escondido, and have used Pac Pride since the 70's (remember odd/even day gas rationing?). Never a problem, and the owner is a friend of mine. I really think that it is just Chevy trying to downplay the injector problem.....

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I'm in Escondido, and have used Pac Pride since the 70's (remember odd/even day gas rationing?). Never a problem, and the owner is a friend of mine. I really think that it is just Chevy trying to downplay the injector problem.....
Which stealer are you taking it to. If you are having difficulty with them you might want to send a PM to socaldieseltech (Clyde). He used to work at Quality Chevrolet and my know someone there who can help you out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which stealer are you taking it to. If you are having difficulty with them you might want to send a PM to socaldieseltech (Clyde). He used to work at Quality Chevrolet and my know someone there who can help you out.
Been taking it, and bought it from, Quality Chevrolet. 3rd truck I've bought from them, and always use Wes in service. Thanks for the insight, though. Is Clyde close to Escondido?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm about 30 minutes away, in Lake Elsinore. Sounds like you are getting P0193's. Need to get the stored codes and we will know alot more.
Clyde;

Thanks for the response; good to know you are so close. I will definately have to come up and see you.

I've thrown several codes so far (P0399, P0404, and P0401 on 2.21.05. They said the followed flow chart for P0299. Same codes on 11.29.05, and then the P0087 and P1093 this last week (good call on the 1093!). I will look up your info later, and make a trip to introduce myself.

Thanks, Clyde, for the response, and lakingslayer for the referral!

Bruce

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Clyde;

Thanks for the response; good to know you are so close. I will definately have to come up and see you.

I've thrown several codes so far (P0399, P0404, and P0401 on 2.21.05. They said the followed flow chart for P0299. Same codes on 11.29.05, and then the P0087 and P1093 this last week (good call on the 1093!). I will look up your info later, and make a trip to introduce myself.

Thanks, Clyde, for the response, and lakingslayer for the refeeral!

Bruce
#4 I agree great call on the P1093 Clyde! :D #4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts