Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I know nothing about this stuff. Here's what I have: a 2004 Kodiak with the duramax and allison, purchased used with about 20K currently. The truck does have a performance chip but it was installed when I got it and I don't know what brand it is. A toggle switch is under the dash that has 3 settings.

A mechanic friend had the truck overnight at his house dressing it up a bit (nothing mechanical). He got in it this morning (about 30 degrees). Said he let it idle a few minutes then pulled off with it easy. Got it to the first stop sign and when he went to pull off (says he was taking it easy because it was cold) noticed it went straight to 3rd. No other gears including reverse. So he took it home and parked it until he could call me. So what's the deal. I wasn't there so I can't swear he didn't get into it but I kind of doubt he did. I know he played around with it some the other day but it's been driven since then with no problems.

If it does end up in the shop I'm assuming we need to find and remove the performance chip. Any help on that would be great as well. I'll print anything you guys tell me for him...I'm certainly not going to play with it myself!:help2:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hard to say. Did the engine light come on? The fact that he had no reverse indicates that something else is going on. If it was in true default you would have third and reverse, not just third only.

Really need a list of codes to tell you more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The light that has a wrench and a gear (I think?) is on. SES light I think? Don't have the manual with me but the way he described the light that's what I think it is. Will my local AutoZone be able to read the codes? Is it OK to drive it that far? probably 10 mi or so.

He didn't try letting it sit this morning so I'm HOPING that when he cranks it this afternoon the gears will be back.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yes, that's the check trans light. I think Autozone can check for trans codes, but make sure you tell them that's what you want. Trans codes are under a different section in a Tech II.

If it is in default it's still safe to drive but I would limit your speed to 25-30 MPH. Depending on the problem a shutdown and restart could give you back full operation.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sounds like the tranny went into limp mode, once you shut the truck off and restart it you will regain all your gears including reverse. Doesn't mean that he was hammering it, it could be because it was cold and you hung a solenoid or something.

Hope this helps,
Wade

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
One more thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a minor thing that most likely won't cause any major damage. If and when you pull the codes it will most likely have something to do with one of your trim/shift solenoids being hung open or closed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IBDMAX'IN, could you tell I was a little on edge? I sunk a huge investment into this truck and getting a phone call that something's wrong with it made me pretty nervous. Reading the info here helps a lot! None of the local dealers will touch my Kodiak...even for something that's universal. The nearest medium duty dealer is an hour away and I've been trying to get some minor warranty work done there since Thanksgiving...truck still hasn't been in. Thanks for soothing my nerves a bit! My friend's too, he was really stressing this morning when he called me!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
IBDMAX'IN, could you tell I was a little on edge? I sunk a huge investment into this truck and getting a phone call that something's wrong with it made me pretty nervous. Reading the info here helps a lot! None of the local dealers will touch my Kodiak...even for something that's universal. The nearest medium duty dealer is an hour away and I've been trying to get some minor warranty work done there since Thanksgiving...truck still hasn't been in. Thanks for soothing my nerves a bit! My friend's too, he was really stressing this morning when he called me!
Just a little bit!! ):h ):h I could tell that you were starting to contemplate how much a new tranny was going to cost you and I'm sure that your buddy was crapping his pants!!

No big deal, I'm sure that everything will be working just fine when you get it back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for your help yesterday! Truck was fine last night, the light was even off. Whew!
:cool2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts