Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this...

Now when I start my truck I get a 380 code... Earlier Last week, I got this when I got the whole Code, for the MAFF... Which was basically my K & N was nasty and needed cleaned..

I cleaned reset the codes, all was fine... for the rest of the week...

Now I start my truck and I get the code...on the starts...

Drive it around... Clear the code... Then no code on the next start...

Another words I dont get it everytime...

I was first thinking, only doesnt since it is cold... and that is why not everytime...

My last question is this... ON a 380 does that mean all glow plugs are bad... If so how many does the truck have. Oh and how much are they being bought for.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Secondly where is glow plug relay?

It starts fine, and is running fine... Doesnt appear to be any white smoke on start up... My wait engine light still comes on...

So a Diesel Buddy thought it would be the relay?...

Which then may explain why the batteries where dead, two days ago... Maybe it got stuck on... I did leave the interior lights on, inside the garage... So they may have gotten the batteries..

Guys what you think?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone must be at lunch... Come on guys this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Could be the relay and/or 1 to all 8 plugs.
The SES light will go on and off depending on what conditions are meet (that's normal for a P0380).
A search for "P0380" will get you a ton of info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok where is the relay located?

I picked up 8 glow plugs and the relay...

I looked at the glow plug connector, took cover off... Looks like relays in there but couldnt figure out how to get out... Then I read on here its one piece... So where is the Relay Go???

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I take it, not many people have ventured this...

Today, I used the light test... Pluged the wire up to the negative terminal on battery, then had a friend turn key to on, while probing just the glow plugs, and on mine the glow plug rail... Needless to say, both sides never did light...

Well checked the glow plug controller... I got power going in.... But by probbing the other two terminals we got nothing...

I tried to take apart the glow plug controller, but that wasnt happening...

So I plan on ordering a whole controller... So the Glow Plug Relay I was sold... Who knows where that goes...

If anyone knows where the Glow Plug Relay is fill this post in... I just assumed it was the fuse box one... But it was not...

Till tommorrow or next week, when I get a new controller.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to follow up... I installed the new Glow Plug Controller... Then all was well..

For those that find this post...

1st use a test light, Hook wire to negative side of battery only...
2nd Have some one, cycle the key from inside the truck..
3rd Poke test light to rail, if lights... move to next side.
4th If next side lights... then time to check each glow plug
5th If you have a Cali Emissions this is easier, since you guys have individual wires to each glow plug... For you guys just go back to 1-3, but this time touch each glow plug... Then one that dont light is bad...
5th B Step for Everyone else... Take glow plug jumper rail, off then start testing each glow plug...

I hope this helps everyone...

Lastly if anyone, ever finds where a single glow plug relay goes, PM me... Cause they sold it to me but never found it. And no its not the one under the fuse box...

·
Registered
138 Posts
DBrown2;1569225; said:
Just to follow up... I installed the new Glow Plug Controller... Then all was well..

For those that find this post...

1st use a test light, Hook wire to negative side of battery only...
2nd Have some one, cycle the key from inside the truck..
3rd Poke test light to rail, if lights... move to next side.
4th If next side lights... then time to check each glow plug
5th If you have a Cali Emissions this is easier, since you guys have individual wires to each glow plug... For you guys just go back to 1-3, but this time touch each glow plug... Then one that dont light is bad...
5th B Step for Everyone else... Take glow plug jumper rail, off then start testing each glow plug...

I hope this helps everyone...

Lastly if anyone, ever finds where a single glow plug relay goes, PM me... Cause they sold it to me but never found it. And no its not the one under the fuse box...
I saw this post earlier but didn't have time to reply with fresh snow to move and work. Anyway it's good to see you got your controller replaced and it works.
The single glow plug relay that you have, does it look like one of the relays from inside the controller. they told me they couldn't be bought? what does it look like? There is a 175 amp fuse that feeds the controller under the black fuse box cover, is it that? Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts