Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off buypower (GMS price) and the 3500 is $200 cheaper than the HD.

Both are CC SLT 4x4.

Same options except the 3500 doesn't get aluminum wheels.

I need to order my next truck this week and the dealer is getting a slot for a 3500 and has 2500 slots.

I think OH makes u put commercial or farm tags on the 1 ton truck.

·
Registered
747 Posts
One of my coworkers recently bought his 3500 SRW. If you want a little more ground clearance, it is the better choice. With 265/75's, the rear sits 2" taller in the rear than my 2500HD and front is 1/2" higher. My torsion bars have been turned up 3 turns. Other than gc/tires, the only differences between his truck and mine are he did not get the chrome trim strips on the door, he has the painted(?) silver wheels, he has the o/l springs w/bumpstops, and, of course, his has the LLY.

·
Registered
549 Posts
What is making the rear end sit up 2 inches taller? Coming from my F350, I cant help but think my 2500HD is just too short. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think it is a combo of the taller tires and difference in the springs. BTW, I measured this difference at the center of the fender.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just seems odd that the 3500 is cheaper than the HD.

Just wondered if anyone else saw this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is probably cheaper because it does not have the aluminum rims on it. Those could make up the $300 difference.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wheels and door trim?

I'm wondering if that's the price difference?

My 3500 didn't come with any kind of body trim on it and GM wants more money for the factory ones at the stealer's parts counter than the $200.00 you're talking about. Also, I don't know what the aluminum wheels cost, but maybe the combination of the two makes the difference?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
That's what I found too. Invoice for the 3500 SRW is lower than the 2500HD by about $250 when ordered with identical equipment.

Be forewarned, the SRW has a fairly stiff rear suspension. Don't know if it is worse than the 2500, but unladen it is harse on concrete freeway "stutter bumps". My E350 van is the same way, so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The 3500 SRW is what I wanted, but I needed it for the fall/winter, so I went with the 2500HD. I really like my coworker's truck, but I really like mine too. I am thinking of trying to purchase the extra springs that came stock on his. I am already looking around for the wheels to go to a taller tire. I don't feel comfortable putting 265's or 285's on my skinny factory wheels.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"I don't feel comfortable putting 265's or 285's on my skinny factory wheels."

I'm on my second set of 285s on stock rims and have gone thru 5 sets of 265s on stock rims and never a problem.

The 285s wore real even.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts