Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to shed some weight on my truck so I can carry more under the GCVW restrictions. I would like to know how much the factory bed weighs? Does anyone know? What could I put in its place that won't leave me "Naked", that will weigh less? I'm looking to install an under bed wheel lift that weighs about 650lbs. Thats what I need to make up. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know????????

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks but it dosen't tell me how much of a weight savings I will gain. I dont feel like taking the bed off to weigh it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
the beds don't weigh much I took mine off for some service on the rear by myself with help of a cherry picker and a few chunks of line. bet it dosnt weigh 650. what model wheel lift you using. I'm getting ready to sell my 3500hd with a dynamic lift cause I just bought a f550 with the vulcan710.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not sure how much the bed weights but I was looking at putting an aluminum bed on my truck and protech makes one that weighs 420 lbs. I saw one on another truck and it looked nice it even has a cab shield that is contoured to the body. I will keep an eye on this thread because I would also like to know how much the bed weighs. I will try to call the dealer in the morning and see what they say. http://www.protech.net/steeltoolboxes.html

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Your options are limited I believe , why are you so concerned ? 650 lbs give or take is nothing,are you commercial? I have seen guys with a deckplate and fenders , could not get much less than that. ( like a semi tractor) but all the tow bodies /flatbeds etc are not going to save much if any.

·
Registered
825 Posts
16 lbs for the front hub extentions, go to al rims saves 20-25 per tire, go to smaller batteries save 4 per bat, or loose one for 38, loose your cat for 26, spare for 75, jack and tools 25, spare lift 20, tailgate 25,rear 60 seat bottom 25 thats all i can think of off the top of my head

·
Registered
368 Posts
I talked to the dealer today and and in typical dealer fashion they told me that they have absolutely no idea how much it weighs. They told me they have no way to find out and they said that there is no one that they can contact. I asked them what the shipping weight is and they said that they don't have shipping weights for there products. It is amazing how stupid there lies are and how truly lazy they are at the dealer in my town.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a friend at the dealer who contacted GM and they will get back to him with a weight. As far as
650 lbs give or take is nothing,are you commercial?
It is when your haul weight is limited to 11000lbs once you include you truck and trailer. Taking 650 off of 11000 is alot when you multiply the weight of 3 cars. The unit I want to add weighs 650 therefore I need to lose 650 so I can still carry 3 cars legally.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The idea of a wheel lift in combo with a 3 car trailer is a great idea , I know how often I have had cars towed to my trailer or away from it. I have lifted beds on and off with 4 guys and I am guessing 5 to 6 hundred or a little more I know the dually bed side will blow away in a lite wind??LOL From your avatar I guess a 2 wheel drive is not in the cards? I have been hauling cars forever and no one will believe 2 inches and 200 lbs might as well be 2 yards and 2 tons. Good luck I can't think of a really light bed replacement short of just a set of fenders and the hitch .

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
carhauler;1589319; said:
The idea of a wheel lift in combo with a 3 car trailer is a great idea , I know how often I have had cars towed to my trailer or away from it. I have lifted beds on and off with 4 guys and I am guessing 5 to 6 hundred or a little more I know the dually bed side will blow away in a lite wind??LOL From your avatar I guess a 2 wheel drive is not in the cards? I have been hauling cars forever and no one will believe 2 inches and 200 lbs might as well be 2 yards and 2 tons. Good luck I can't think of a really light bed replacement short of just a set of fenders and the hitch .
Glad to see someone understands my idea. I may end up fabbing my own bed. I just need two rails to hold my ATV.:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
you have to add the gross weight of the trailer in to that equation so it should be gvwr for truck + gvrw for trailer = gvrw for truck and trailer.
how much do the truck and trailer weigh empty you may be close to 11000 already

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colaguy;1593145; said:
you have to add the gross weight of the trailer in to that equation so it should be gvwr for truck + gvrw for trailer = gvrw for truck and trailer.
how much do the truck and trailer weigh empty you may be close to 11000 already
26,000# minus 15,000# for the truck and trailer leave me with 11,000# hauling capacity through DOT Reg.:duh:

:thankyou2 but my weights are already figured out. What is in question is how much weight will I shed by removing my bed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts