Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric

There is talk about a rattle in the steering and replacement of a bearing and maybe even the steering box to fix this. As always this has been a battle with the dealers to get it done and done right. Some have even reported the new steering box is worst than the old.

That said my question is this. Does this bearing/box rattle thing occur in 3500's?? or is it a 2500 issue only.

I'm starting to feel a rattle in my steering wheel only when I am turning at speed, as in exiting around a curved highway off ramp. I'm wondering if this is the begining of the rattle issue. I have Bilstein shocks on the truck so I'm sure it's not shock related.

I'm at 21k and have awhile to go before I run out of warranty but want to know how to deal with this issue with the dealer.

Do you have the bulletins on this problem available??

ThanksEdited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony

What did they fix and how?? And BTW, my point is does this apply to the 3500's or is this a different problem with them. veryone I see posting about getting the steering rattle fixed has had a 2500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine HAD the rattle. First time in the shop was the grease option. After a few thousand miles the rattle returned. Second time in they replaced the bearing. NO rattle since. Mine was born 3-25-02 Edited by: 4Doors

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My 2000 1500 had the rattle something fierce, now at 14.5k my 2500HD is starting to develop it.

Simple to identify though, sounds as if your steering shaft is going to come through your airbag and pop you in the face. Although I think I'll wait until it gets bad enough to be a real annoyance or until I'm near the end of my warranty period.

I've never heard a safety issue involved with it, so it's not a major priority at this point. Also maybe if I wait long enough, I won't have to make the two plus trips to get it fixed like every else and they'll just replace the bearing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck. I found the dealers are more willing when you play by thier rules.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
Tony

What did they fix and how?? And BTW, my point is does this apply to the 3500's or is this a different problem with them. veryone I see posting about getting the steering rattle fixed has had a 2500.

They replaced the steering bearing, BTW by truck was born 01/27/2002.

No rattle to date after the fix,

T
NY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly which bearing is this? I've had the intermediate shaft replaced twice. Then the steering box was replaced and I still have a rattle in the steering wheel. It drives me nuts!
Anyone else experiencing this problem.

P.S. My truck is an 03 3500 2WD D/A

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
The bearing is the stub shaft bearing in the gearbox, I posted the diag sheet in the TSB section and am looking for the repair instructions to post so that all can see. If they replaced the box and the intermediate shaft and the noise is still there, possible issues elsewhere or the box did not have the updated bearing in it. Intermediate shaft should not be replaced for most circumstances. There is a grease kit that should be used, refer to TSB section for more on that

·
Registered
6 Posts
dmaxallitech,

The Lube kit was installed the first time i brought it in for the problem. It seemed to dampen the rattle temporarily ( a few days) but returned. Also I should say that this is a rattle that is felt in the steering wheel it is not actually an audible sound. It is as if there is play somewhere in the steering system. The replacement of the steering box was just done and it still occurs. As Firstdiesel stated above I find it most pronounced while turning, I am at a loss. The truck is incredible otherwise.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is the same way. I feel the rattle in the wheel when I'm going around a turn like an off ramp. No noise is heard. It is slowly getting worst but I'll run out of warranty before it's a hearable noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts