Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one post a pic of their 3500 SRW rims with 265 or 285 tires would like to see them and is it true that they are 7 inches wide instead of 6.5 like the 2500 are

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone with pics or info

·
Registered
395 Posts
They are at least 7" wide. They come from the factory with 265 75 R16 tires. I will take some pics in the morning (in the daylight) if you can wait. I'm at work now with no camera.

Jay

·
Registered
272 Posts

2500 HD 16x6.5

3500SRW 16x7

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
395 Posts
No aluminum rims on 3500....Only steel.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont the SRW trucks have aluminum rims

·
Registered
272 Posts
No. These are the only factory wheels used on the 3500 SRW. Painted on the Work Truck, Chrome on everything else. Aluminum wheels (RPO PY0) available on the 1500HD & 2500HD only.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Here's a little larger photo of a 3500SRW 16x7 wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
IIRC, there's quite a few ordering restrictions with the 3500 trucks. For instance, I don't believe you can order the LT3 package.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont want a 3500 i will be getting a 2500 CC SB D/A and i just wanted the wider wheels of the 3500 but i thought some came with aluminum wheels not just steel what is up with that just steel no aluminum that sucks for 3500 owners

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think it's a load issue. The aluminum rims don't have enough.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
steel is stronger

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think it's a load issue. The aluminum rims don't have enough.
Then why are there aluminum rims made by alcoa on semi trucks?

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's a balance between strength and weight with OTR trucks. By replacing 18 steel wheels with 18 aluminum ones, you can save almost 1,000 lbs and this means more payload and usually more revenue. You will however, almost never see aluminum wheels on the multi-axle super heavy duty trailers, because in this case a little extra weight doesn't matter, and steel is preferred. Same thing with police package cars. Except for B4C Camaro and the last couple years of the Mustang, all cop cars use steel wheels; much more able to take the abuse (bend but dont break).

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think it's a simple matter of steel is stronger than aluminum. Design, manufacturing, and specific types of aluminum/steel play huge factors in overall strength.

Getting high weight ratings is undoubtedly cheaper when using steel, so that's why GM uses steel on the 3500s.

There are aftermarket aluminum wheels that will exceed the weight ratings of the axles, so why do you need steel?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow i didnt know that 3500 only come with steel wheels

1 - 20 of 22 Posts