Diesel Place banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
not to take the sale from a dp member but chromewheel.com quoted me 8-900 a while back for all new and accessories

on edit: you have to leave two steel inners. you cant put two alluminum on the rear, not enought hub for the outer to catchEdited by: chevmeister

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you have to run two steel inners how do you handle tire rotation? I have a 93 3500 single wheel that I never rotate the tires on but was thinking of doing it on the new one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
RVMAX,

Chevy is right you can't put aluminium on aluminium so the inside wheels stay steel. You can order some rims that are polished on both sides and that solves the rotation problem. I negotiated with Discount Tire (where I got the Michelins) for dismount and remount as a part of their lifetime tire rotation package. If you put extenders on the inner wheels to air up more easily be sure that you have them mount a metal valve stem. The rubber ones can give out over time if they are stressed by an extension. Not a nice event if you're rollin' down the road loaded up.

I got my wheels from Discount Tire after showing them the prices from SouthWest Wheel (which they matched).

http://www.southwestwheel.com/

They were willing to mount on the rims if I brought them in but the dismount and remount deal got my to buy from them. I spent $156 each for the Alcoas. (hotshots)

Be sure you take your wheel and tire problem up the line. There is a process for that if you aren't satisfied with the dealers service.

Good luck,
BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got the two new rims installed this week and the truck finally rides like I'd expect it to. The rims eliminated the vibration at higher speeds. Now I'll try & get some of the $1300 back it's cost me. If I don't get a thing it's still worth it but it was agravating to go thru that process on a new truck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
My '02 3500 came with two bad stock rims. Fortunately my dealership willingly replaced them both. Since my earlier post in this thread our truck now has over 50,000 miles on my original Goodyears and they look good for another 20 or so.

JimEdited by: JEBar

·
Registered
617 Posts
RMAX-

A little late, but to answer your question, I've been running General tires on my 1992 GMC 2500 for 100k miles and had nothing but good luck with them. 60k miles on the first set, changed the second set at 40k with tread left to put on the stock wheels/tires off my DMAX. In '92 all I could get from the factory was the painted steel wheels with the "beauty ring", the new rims really dress the truck up.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.