Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs. Rmax here - Can anyone tell me if we should be concerned about the ride we are getting in the new 3500? We've had single wheel one tons before and are used to riding in pickups, but ever since we got this new one, it seems very bouncy. It feels to me like the tires are out of balance, or a wheel is bent, based on having the same feeling in other trucks when that turned out to be the problem. It doesn't seem to matter at what speed we travel or what kind of road we are on, and the two hour ride home from the dealership on the interstate almost made me carsick. Is this normal?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mrs RMAX took the truck to the dealer today to see if they could diagnose the ride problem. After she insisted they checked the tires for balance & said all was well. At one point they tried to say the tires might have flat spots from sitting so long. Our local mechanic who owns two 3500's tried the truck and said he thought there was a tire problem as he'd never ridden in a 3500 with that much vibration. After a few heated calls the dealer has agreed to put michelins on the truck & credit us for the OEM tires (Generals). Hope that smooths her out.....will let everyone know. Anyone have problems with General tires?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LTX M/S is what I'm asking for. I've run michelins on my 93 3500 single wheel & my wifes Honda & I'm sold on them. Great ride & like if you keep them balanced they're good for many miles

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm staying with the 215's. They're being installed tomorrow. Didn't want to vary from OEM before I get the ride issues resolved. Only have 900 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The saga continues....Now have Mikchelins on the truck. However the Michelin dealer said what he told the chevy dealer was he'd give us a credit for the OEM tires IF nothing was wrong with them. They road tested the truck with the OEM tires and said there was obviously a problem with the tires because the vibration was not normal. Mrs. RMAX went for a short test drive and called me with the news that the truck was cured and the ride was as it should be. 30 minutes later she called and said she lied. Up to 50 mph or so it ws great but at 65-70 the vibration was worse than before. Michelin guys pulled their top guns in and put the tires on the balancer again. They found that two of the rims were bent. They called the chevy dealer & got the resonse that nothing was wrong with the truck the ride was normal. So Monday we're going to put on the new rims & see what happens. Up till now I was anoyed now I'm madder than.. When this is all done the chevy dealer is going to get 7 OEM tires and 2 rims deposited on the shiny vette in the showroom & we're going to have a talk in the middle of the showroom. I may not get much but satisfaction & a trip to jail but I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for ranting. Son of a gun tell me about alcoa rims. Same load capability as stock? How much we talking? Do you do all 6 rims or leave the stock inner rear?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you have to run two steel inners how do you handle tire rotation? I have a 93 3500 single wheel that I never rotate the tires on but was thinking of doing it on the new one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got the two new rims installed this week and the truck finally rides like I'd expect it to. The rims eliminated the vibration at higher speeds. Now I'll try & get some of the $1300 back it's cost me. If I don't get a thing it's still worth it but it was agravating to go thru that process on a new truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.