Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Rmax here - Can anyone tell me if we should be concerned about the ride we are getting in the new 3500? We've had single wheel one tons before and are used to riding in pickups, but ever since we got this new one, it seems very bouncy. It feels to me like the tires are out of balance, or a wheel is bent, based on having the same feeling in other trucks when that turned out to be the problem. It doesn't seem to matter at what speed we travel or what kind of road we are on, and the two hour ride home from the dealership on the interstate almost made me carsick. Is this normal?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depending on the surface of the road, my 3500 can get a bit bouncy in the rear, but when the road is smooth so is the ride -- almost Cadillac like. When the road turns rough the back seat can get quite bouncy. I am looking forward to aftermarket shocks as the stock ones don't seem to offer much in the way of either dampening or rebound.

If you are experiencing a bouncy ride even on smooth roads then something is likely wrong. If it is over potholes, railroad tracks, or freeways with semi induced whoop-de-doos or large tar strips then it is is likely normal.

If you haven't done so, you may want to check your tire pressure.

Hope this helps, ride quality is a very subjective topic.

·
Registered
540 Posts
One word

BILSTEINS

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mrs. Rmax,

Be sure they didn't fill the tires to their max (80Lbs). They often do this when delivering trucks. You only need 45 -50 lbs. when the truck is empty. Makes the ride MUCH better.

Good luck,
Bob
Edited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
612 Posts
Shortly after purchasing our '02 3500 we decided to see what could be done to improve its ride. The first thing we did was have the wheels/tires checked on a machine that tells the best way to mount a tire on a rim. We found that 1 of our 7 rims was out of round, dealership replaced it. Our next step was to install Bilsteins which most certainly helped but we still felt we could improve the empty ride. We had a local truck shop remove the longest removable main spring leaf (not an over load spring) and install Air Lift Air Bags with an onboard compressor. For us that did the trick. Will turn over 50,000 miles on her within the next couple of weeks and, even though we keep all tires inflated to maximum rated poundage, we have been delighted with the ride (empty, hauling and towing) since completing the above.

JimEdited by: JEBar

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the 3500 for towing our 12,000 lb. 5th wheel. It does that great. It is one great towing machine. I bought the rancho-9000's this last spring and that helped some.

The one thing I don't like is that when empty it bangs in the rear end when I hit bumps. I assume it is the top overload springs hitting the stops. I thought about checking into getting the plastic things to go over the end of the springs that was talked about in the TSB section on rear spring slap.

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Road Boss,

If you weigh your truck(and it isn't carrying aux fuel tanks or other heavy stuff full time) you should find that 45 to 55 lbs is the right amount. The tires will wear normally because they are carrying the right weight at the right pressure. Over inflation can cause uneven tire wear as much as underinflation.

Bob Edited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Road Boss. I carry 65 in the front and 45 in the rear. I would go with less in the rear - but Goodyear doesn't reccommend it and, truthfully, I haven't got any real complaints. I raise the rear pressure to 55 with a 750 lb tongue load (---unloaded trailer.) With 65 psi in the rear, and empty, it will definitely ride rough!

Cracker

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mrs RMAX took the truck to the dealer today to see if they could diagnose the ride problem. After she insisted they checked the tires for balance & said all was well. At one point they tried to say the tires might have flat spots from sitting so long. Our local mechanic who owns two 3500's tried the truck and said he thought there was a tire problem as he'd never ridden in a 3500 with that much vibration. After a few heated calls the dealer has agreed to put michelins on the truck & credit us for the OEM tires (Generals). Hope that smooths her out.....will let everyone know. Anyone have problems with General tires?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the OEM Goodyears on the 3500 but have had OEM General tires on other trucks in the past and had very good luck with them.

What Michelins are you getting??? I'd want the LTX M&S. I had them on my Suburban and the ride was great and they wore like iron.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LTX M/S is what I'm asking for. I've run michelins on my 93 3500 single wheel & my wifes Honda & I'm sold on them. Great ride & like if you keep them balanced they're good for many miles

·
Registered
165 Posts
RMAX,

I had the Generals on my 3500 when it arrived. Their was no real problem but I went to Michelins when I added the Alcoa rims. The ride was better and quieter. I wouldn't have spent the money for the difference though. I just prefer to run michelins when I pull my 13500# 5th wheel. I did the LTX M&S.

Wish I could have gotten my dealer to pay for mine!!!

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
When you guys changed tires from the Goodyears/Generals to Michelin, did you stay with the same size(215/85/16 or 245/75/16)? Or, did you go with a larger size?

JP

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm staying with the 215's. They're being installed tomorrow. Didn't want to vary from OEM before I get the ride issues resolved. Only have 900 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I stayed with the 215s because GM says no warranty work on trans, etc. unless original spec tires and rims are on the truck.

BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The saga continues....Now have Mikchelins on the truck. However the Michelin dealer said what he told the chevy dealer was he'd give us a credit for the OEM tires IF nothing was wrong with them. They road tested the truck with the OEM tires and said there was obviously a problem with the tires because the vibration was not normal. Mrs. RMAX went for a short test drive and called me with the news that the truck was cured and the ride was as it should be. 30 minutes later she called and said she lied. Up to 50 mph or so it ws great but at 65-70 the vibration was worse than before. Michelin guys pulled their top guns in and put the tires on the balancer again. They found that two of the rims were bent. They called the chevy dealer & got the resonse that nothing was wrong with the truck the ride was normal. So Monday we're going to put on the new rims & see what happens. Up till now I was anoyed now I'm madder than.. When this is all done the chevy dealer is going to get 7 OEM tires and 2 rims deposited on the shiny vette in the showroom & we're going to have a talk in the middle of the showroom. I may not get much but satisfaction & a trip to jail but I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for ranting. Son of a gun tell me about alcoa rims. Same load capability as stock? How much we talking? Do you do all 6 rims or leave the stock inner rear?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts