Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! have any of you had a problem with driveline shudder-vibration in a 2003 ex-cab duramax-allison truck?? just when taking off from a stop! thanks for your help! bubba jim e mail me please at [email protected] thanks again!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am experiencing it right now with my truck. It only does it part of the time. I have an appointment Monday to get an injector replaced, and I hope it is what is causing this too. Does yours do it all the time?

·
Registered
454 Posts
My 01 crew cab short bed did this on heavy accelerating from a dead stop. I had a 2 piece drive shaft and this was the cause for me. I had it replaced to a one piece and that solved the problem. the truck drives like a whole different truck now. Extmely smooth and no shudder at any speed. if you have a 2 piece, get a one piece, you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
612 Posts
had a "clunk" (similiar to the type one gets when a universal joint is worn-out) when I would take off from a standing start (was more noticable when towing) in my 3500 LB .... proved to be play in the splines where the two piece drive shaft was joined together ... dealership relpaced drive shaft and has been smooth ever since ... don't know if this is the same type thing you are experiencing or not

Jim

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I had this with the ZF. B/c there is no one piece for the ZF, I did a little asking around, and found another dude with this problem.

Solution...: To get the two halves of the D-shaft even at desired load level. I dropped the carrier bearing with shafts attatched, and placed a 3/8 inch spacer in there. It dropped the carrier bearing down, and the shudder is MUCH better. Dont go too much, or when you load it down, it will be way out of whack.

I loaded the bed with about 3000 lbs of block, and the shaft was not even by any means. But the wobble was a tad worse than before the mod...

Good luck...

·
Registered
1 Posts
driveline vibration

My 01 crew cab short bed did this on heavy accelerating from a dead stop. I had a 2 piece drive shaft and this was the cause for me. I had it replaced to a one piece and that solved the problem. the truck drives like a whole different truck now. Extmely smooth and no shudder at any speed. if you have a 2 piece, get a one piece, you will be glad you did.
I had a vibration at various speeds. After new U joints, carrier bearing, new outer wheel, tired balanced and trued, the problem went away when I changed to a 1 piece driveshaft. thanks for the recommendation. 2008 Chevy 3500.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Just get the one piece shaft and be done with it, don't try angles and joints and carriers , just get the one piece! Talk to Duramax store and they will set you up with the right one and their price is good. Next to my Banks Turbo Brake the one piece drive line was the best thing I did for my 09 Dually , and the delete! don't forget to delete !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts