Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a new 3500. I can pull what I need to pull with a SRW but I am considering a DRW, actually a DRW with a flat bed.
I am curious what the MPG difference is between SRW and DRW unloaded and loaded. Both have 3.73 rear end.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Can't help with the mpg comparision, but, FWIW, all L5P pickups come equipped with 3.73's, including the fleet and CC models.

Generally the 6.0 (L96) pickups come with 4.10's and the GM (as opposed to Allison) transmission. Some fleet and CC model gassers are available with 3.73 or 4.10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove a DRW with a flat bed today at the dealer. The wind noise off the rear window rack was very loud and according to the DCI the Fuel mileage was not very good to me. 14.5 MPG at 78 MPH on the highway with no load. Dealer is going to locate a 3500 SRW for me.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I drove a DRW with a flat bed today at the dealer. The wind noise off the rear window rack was very loud and according to the DCI the Fuel mileage was not very good to me. 14.5 MPG at 78 MPH on the highway with no load. Dealer is going to locate a 3500 SRW for me.
If you think 14.5 MPG at 78 MPH is bad mileage then you shouldn't buy one of these trucks. . . . .

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
The flatbed will get worse mileage than the pickup box, poor aerodynamics of the bed not blending with body lines, headache rack and wind noise, how much of a drop, probably one to two miles per gallon, so 18 without and 16 with, pulling a trailer, probably no difference.

When I was shopping for my new truck, I would have ordered a cab/chassis if I could have gotten one with the LBZ package. The cab/chassis is much narrower than the dually pickup. I have no regrets with my 3500 SRW, but I am close to the max tire ratings on the rear axle when hooked to my new 5er.

Reactions: BigAl491

·
Registered
5 Posts
May not help much but my 2012 LML 3500 srw would get 19 to 20 highway. We took a 1500 trip with our 15 LML Denali dually and averaged a little less than 17. Most of the trip was 70 to 75 mph on interstates. Pulling our 15,500 pound fifth wheel the 2012 usually averaged around 11, the dually comes in around 10.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
SRW will suffice unless you need the added weight carrying ability.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dz302

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
I have no regrets about buying my 17 SRW 3500. Next week I will take a trip to Saskatchawan to go fishing, towing my 2500 lb boat, we will see how it does on mileage, but I am guessing it will average around 15 to 17 mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 17 dually is averaging 13mpg at 6300miles. I'm proably at half towing and half empty there. I also took off the front lower valance because it go ripped off in the mud. Truck looks meaner without it tho lol

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
ya,but you loose 2mpgs
Yes, it got ripped of at work, I had my 15 ripped off three times as well and since my company pays for fuel they can either buy me a new one or pay for my increased fuel consumption lol

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
849 Posts
I know this threads a bit old, and the OP said he already decided (although I see no pics...so probably didn't happen).

If anyone follows my posts..you know I only own 1ton+ dually trucks. Personally I don't know why they even make SRW trucks (or 2WD trucks for that matter :hehe:)

All kidding aside, and some of you may have heard me before...I've learned over the years whether its trucks or heavy equipment...you buy the biggest darned thing you can afford at the time!

I have NEVER hooked up to tow something and gone.."Gee..I wish my truck wasn't so big." But I've been caught plenty on the other side..."Gee...I wish my truck was bigger"

I say if you're at or near your towing capacity..you need a bigger truck!

OK..NOW to MPG.. Why would you ever let that dictate DRW/SRW if we're talking 2-3mpg difference - again..buy the biggest darn truck you can!

Miles MPG TOT. GAL AVG COST PER GAL (US) TOT COST PER 100k
100000 8 12500 2.91 $36,375.00
100000 10 10000 2.91 $29,100.00
100000 14 7142.86 2.91 $20,785.71
100000 17 5882.35 2.91 $17,117.65

100000 20 5000 2.91 $14,550.00

If the sweet spot for most of us is 14 combined...not enough difference for me..I'm buying the dually!

OK I'm done! :deadhorse: :coolnana::clap:

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
What I think is funny, is quibbling over by fuel economy when discussing one ton trucks period.
Now if GM or Ford made something that could pull 25,000 lbs AND get 20 MPG doing it, that would be a worthy discussion. I own a one ton diesel powered dually to pull whatever needs pulled, not to get great fuel economy. Now that being said, it still gets better gas mileage than my 3/4 ton Gasser does!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Although I don't like the looks of "super singles" used in place of duals on pickups in theory they may provide a slight fuel economy advantage since the singles only have the rolling resistance of two sidewalls instead of four per side.

I expect in a pickup this doesn't make much difference and some of that is offset by the greater frontal exposure increasing air resistance. The greater tread width (compared to a normal pair of tires in a dually configuration) would slightly hurt economy and this also tends to make these setups far more prone to hydroplaning in an unloaded pickup since the contact patch is wider with the same total weight spread across it.

I see that the base engine in the aluminum F-150 is now a 3.5 V6 but not the turbocharged version and they claim up to a 7,600 pound tow rating with this NA V6. It will be interesting to see if GM takes a similar approach with a smaller base V6 in the 1500 series at some point. I have their 321 HP 3.6L V6 in my Cadillac ATS which does well in an aerodynamic light car but I don't think it would be very fun screaming along at the RPM it needs to produce real power on a longer grade.

It is sad that while gasoline engine efficiency has clearly increased in the last decades diesel power in pickups hasn't had those practical gains. My first diesel pickup was a 1995 GMC that averaged 18.7 MPG over the lifetime that I owned it running unloaded which was 5 better than the 1991 GMC with the 5.7L it replaced. My 2001 LB7 returned about 19 over the same conditions and my 2006 LBZ maybe half a mile per gallon less. I expect that my upcoming L5P will drop further. Yes, certainly the power has increased and emissions have dropped but that level of power isn't in use most of the time. By comparison my 1985 Monte Carlo (180 HP 5.0L) and 1989 Olds Toronado (3.8 V6) both provided 25-26 MPG on the highway while my 2014 ATS returns 30-31 MPG under the same conditions and my 2016 Corvette with a 650 HP supercharged engine does an easy 25-26 MPG cruising at 80.

At some point CAFE is going to encompass 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and then things will change rapidly. A future Ike Gauntlet may feature hybrid heavy duty pickups and the question will be which one can maintain the additional "boost" from its battery pack longer on the uphill grade.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
LOTS of other things will impact the fuel economy more than the srw/drw question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2017 3500HD drw 4wd and it gets 16.2 mpg hand calculated and unloaded. This is mostly highway driving with some stop and go City driving. I traded up from my 2500HD gaser and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm breaking in a '18 cab & chassis crew cab DRW with a utility body on it and hand calc'd 17.2 tonight. That includes 2 regens (dual tank is like 63.5 gallons or something so they got me on both ends.) I'm probably 60/40 highway to city and I know the spec sheet on the utility body says it's 1300# plus some light tools at the moment. I'm pretty surprised as the computer said 14 and change

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between 2500hd and 3500hd SRW from what i can see its just leaf spring pack and tires?
I have researched this some and like you mentioned it appears to me that the 3500 has overload springs on the rear. It's been a while since I looked at one, but the DRW might (I old and can't remember for sure) have an additional spring in the main spring pack

I have thought about getting the overloads for mine from a salvage yard if I could find some reasonably close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts