Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks

Im a new guy to this forum and I have a few questions on my truck. I have a 3500 DMAX/ALLI. I tow a 13000lb toy hauler. When Im towing down a hill I hit the brake and kick it down a gear at the top of the hill by the time I get to the bottom and I catch up with traffic or get slowed down by a truck I hit the brake again and it down shifts again causing the engine to tach around 4000rpm. Yikes! I here if something blows up the factory wont warranty it because of the valves floating at that high of rpm. Does this make sense? Any body else heard of this? Just curious.

·
Registered
340 Posts
the4js,

It is operating normal, I have 39,000 on my 01 & tow a 13,000 5er & have seen 4,000 RPM several times coming down 11% grades in Canada. Thne experts say the tranny won't let you hurt it in decelleration mode.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chipper

Im thinking of getting set up with a exhaust brake and the new ATTITUDE BD mod.The Diesel guru in my area just got those new modules the other day.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It won't void your warranty because the truck is designed to operate like that. Nothing to worry about at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can tell because the tach actually has two red lines...the striped one at about 3200 rpm which is the under power read line, and the other one (solid red line) which is where it can go while down shifting for engine braking. As stated before, absolutely normal.

Joh

·
Registered
448 Posts
Grade breaking dosen't void the warranty, but an exhaust brake might. Most have found that they don't need one, the HD brakes are better than wer're used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts