Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to see if anyone has pursued the idea I'm about to present:

Option 1:
MBRP front pipe $112
4 inch Exhaust Cutout $50

4 inch to 3.5 inch exhaust reducer $35

Option 2:
Instead of manual exhaust cutout use electronic exhaust cutout for $200

Weld it all up to the stock exhaust and you have a stock quite exhaust with a 4 inch turbo back performance exhaust.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting

But don't think it would work on my LMM.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm looking to see if anyone has pursued the idea I'm about to present:

Option 1:
MBRP front pipe $112
4 inch Exhaust Cutout $50

4 inch to 3.5 inch exhaust reducer $35

Option 2:
Instead of manual exhaust cutout use electronic exhaust cutout for $200

Weld it all up to the stock exhaust and you have a stock quite exhaust with a 4 inch turbo back performance exhaust.

Thoughts?
I know a guy that sells 4" and 5" exhausts for cheaper than that. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

·
Registered
663 Posts
A MBRP 4" with a muffler is really quiet and increases performance. And I got mine for 329.99 free shipping.

pm me and i will tell you where i got it from. (supporting vendor)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you guys talking about exhaust from the cat back or the turbo back? This is a cheap way to do a turbo back exhaust.. I'm just checking if I'm comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The one i mentioned earlier is a turbo back. no cat

G

·
I dont see why it wouldn't work. On a LBZ you would need a fingerstick for a turbo back because you are remoing the cat and it would trip a DTC. For a LMM if you did a turbo back you would need a programmer like PPE, Quadzilla or EFI Live to prevent a DTC if you removed the cat. I had an electronic cut-out on my 02 gasser and it was loud as balls; whenever i saw a cop i just flipped a switch and it was back to stock. However i wound up removing it because it didn't provide a consistant seal; the cutout leaked. The lack of backpressure actually hurt my performance when i was driving in non cutout mode. But that was on a naturally aspirated engine. Since turbo engines operate better with no backpressure perhaps it wouldn't make a difference and you wouldnt even notice. But if it was me, i would want to know know everything under my truck was sealed up all nice and tight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I propose this (I have an LB7 but was thinking wider scope of trucks) is because if you leave the stock exhaust from the front pipe flange back, you could potentially have a shop weld the stock Cat back in right before the muffler. Then on normal days you still have a quite, legal exhaust, and for performace flip a switch and you've got a SHORT turbo back 4 inch exhaust..

I agree though, i could see a cut out leaking a little over time.

I dont see why it wouldn't work. On a LBZ you would need a fingerstick for a turbo back because you are remoing the cat and it would trip a DTC. For a LMM if you did a turbo back you would need a programmer like PPE, Quadzilla or EFI Live to prevent a DTC if you removed the cat. I had an electronic cut-out on my 02 gasser and it was loud as balls; whenever i saw a cop i just flipped a switch and it was back to stock. However i wound up removing it because it didn't provide a consistant seal; the cutout leaked. The lack of backpressure actually hurt my performance when i was driving in non cutout mode. But that was on a naturally aspirated engine. Since turbo engines operate better with no backpressure perhaps it wouldn't make a difference and you wouldnt even notice. But if it was me, i would want to know know everything under my truck was sealed up all nice and tight.

G

·
Besides the leak factor, it might be an option to consider. A lot of guys on here are running straight pipes; hell im about to install one on my LMM myself. I have never seen anything in black and white saying that they are illegal either as far as noise goes. I also highly doubt that a cop would ever be able to notice that you had you had the cut out installed as well. If you pursue this option keep us posted...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Im in the process of building my own dual's (pic's in garage), I've got the MBRP 4" cat delete pipe with a 4" 90 to the ground. It feels like I lost alot of low end, and the turbo seems to be surging @ WOT! It's really not loud at all @ idle/part throttle, but it sounds like an f-16 taking off at WOT!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My brother put "option 2" on his truck before the the muffler ('01 no cat:D) he left everything else stock. It is a nice valve; no leaks as of yet. He has had it on now for six months. It is nice to have it loud when you want it to be loud and quiet when you need it to be quiet. The only thing that i would do differently is is after the cut out put a piece of exhaust pipe so it dumps to the side of the truck. I got some pics but not of the best quality though. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had this set up on my old truck. It was a gas engine (Chevy 350), but the same concept. I put the cutout before the cat and muffler to run open headers, then just close the cutout and run it through the stock exhaust. I had a cop pull my over once running open headers, flipped the switch before he came to my window and convinced him that it couldn't have been me making all that noise because I have a "stock exhaust".

If you're going to get an electric cutout I recommend DMH Performance. They have them up to 4" I believe. I ran mine for 3 years with no problems. Every now and then the screws would rattle loose, but never had any problems with it sealing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.