Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to get 33s on a duramax? I have a ford SD and they fit stock. My buddy wants to add 33s to his duramax, but his truck looks smaller than mine and he is not sure if they will fit. What does it take to run 33s? Thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
for my 33 keeys and now my 33"bfg, i so farhave not done a thing, odd time their might be a rub on a sharp left turn when over a curb, some guys raise their torsion bars a few turns, fred

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I saw on this page people were moving the bumpers out. I have 285's (32) and I trimmed the plastic beneath the bumper with a saws all. They used to rub quite a but but not often now. Drivers side only when the weigth is transferring oin a turn. It works o.k. I also cranked my torsion bars and that helped alot as well. I think 33's look to big for the front end stock. He will need to lift the bars or the truck a little to get it to look right.

Just an opinion

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
running 35s with only torsion bar crank, but I have an after market bumper. rubbing occasionally, full turn while backing. should not have any issues with 33s

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is road armor the same as ranch hand?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
no. road armor is an outfit out of washington state. cannot comment on ranch hand, but I like the road armor. much lighter than the ranch hand and very strong. does not stick out as far either

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
33/12.50-17's on H2 wheels.

No problems at all.

A few zip ties and some good shocks.

T
NY
Same here

·
Registered
464 Posts
285-75-16 (MT/R) here (33) and no rubbing whatsoever. Torsion bars are up 1 in to help level the front end. Truck looks 226% better than stock 245's!! You should have no problem.

Jason

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
Clydesdale,

I thought if you worked out the math, they were all about 33" tall. The width is not equivalent. Here is a pic straight from the Procomp website and it shows their 285's to be 33s.

Kevin

Edited by: 2K2AD

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Procomps are a 25,000 mile tire. I dont think they will last. I had a set and they were junk.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. I have had my set on for about 15K and they still look new. Before I purchased mine, there were several on the board that were running them and recommended them. I am sorry you didn't have any luck with yours, I am very pleased with mine.

BTW - I think the A/Ts have a 50K treadlife warranty on them.

Kevin

Edited by: 2K2AD

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I think I have at least 15,000 on mine with very little wear.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
I have a different view on the 33s.

Stock trucks do not have enough wheel well clerance to run 285s on 16x8s--like I have--and they do not have adequate clearance even with the torsion bars raised 2"--like I have done. I have also re-formed the inner fender liners and tied back the parking brake cable. I am not terribly excited about having raised the torsion bars, though I did do it with specially designed keys and the ride is excellent.

I get rubbing when braking through a "dip" and turning the wheel. I might be able to get clearance by rolling back the inside aft corner of the fenders. That is where my clearance is lacking--it's about 3/4". There is no way I can run chains right now.

I have plenty of clearance on the front side of the wheel wells since I have a Frontier full front end replacement.

What gets me is a stock truck with 245s has about the same clearance as mine. This limited wheel well space is a bad idea from GM.

Blaine

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
<DIV>"Stock trucks do not have enough wheel well clerance to run 285s on 16x8s--like I have--and they do not have adequate clearance even with the torsion bars raised 2"--like I have done. I have also re-formed the inner fender liners and tied back the parking brake cable. I am not terribly excited about having raised the torsion bars, though I did do it with specially designed keys and the ride is excellent. "</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> this is my third duramax now, all thee had 33" tires, same senario on all, slight rub on a sharp left hand turn when crosing a curb like your sidewalk, and i have never had the bars lifted, or taken sharp tools to my fenders
i must be lucky</DIV>

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Did you run stock wheels? 33s will clear better--but be less stable--on stock rims. My rims are 8" wide and that makes a difference.

However, my clearance criteria is probably greater than most. I want at least 1.5" at the least...................

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just stumbled onto this site and it looks like a great site. I am running 285's on 16x8 wheels with a 4.5" back spacingon my 2500HD and I have no rubbing issues. I have installed the GM "green keys" to raise the front 2" and did trim the front bumper cover about 1". I also had to zip tie the inner fenders back for clearance. I am running the factory slash gaurds also and have no rubbing. Check out my signiture for the pics.Edited by: 03GMC2500HD

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
the size of the tires have less to do with rubbing than back spacing on the wheel does. if you go with a wheel that has 5+" of back spacing, you will have lots of clearance. this is the reason some here have success running the H2 wheels and tires on a stock truck (albeit with the bars cranked). keep the tires tucked in and your OK

marc

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
My truck has 4.5" backspacing with my 16x8s and 285s. I have the nose up 2" with the Hill 4WD torsion bar keys. I have the parking brake cable tied back, and the fender liners tied back and reformed with a heat gun (BTW this works very well). I also have a front end replacement that has much more clearance than the stock bumper.

When I turn my steering wheel between 3/4 to full in either direction, my clearance goes down to about 3/4" between the tire and the rear inside portion of the fender well.

The rest of you guys with 285s or 33s. How much clearance do you have with the steering wheel turned 3/4 to full?

Blaine

1 - 20 of 32 Posts