Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 gmc 3500 6.2 4x4 dually standard 5 speed with a dump body and 12000 gvw.

plowing the driveway the other day the yoke/u joint that comes out of the back of the transfer case broke. this has the 2 piece driveshaft with the slip yoke in the middle.

i spent the day today and yesterday going to auto parts stores, junkyards and places that specialize in drivelines and nobody can get this yoke. the dealers want 306 for it.

i dont need the truck right away, does anybody know of a place that sells these things aftermarket? or should i just bent over and buy the one from the dealer?

thanks

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
Try a driveshaft shop. The same guys who you will be taking it to for balancing. Or a salvage yard. Breakage is rare

·
Registered
246 Posts
A guy I know just took his 02 2500 in to get his yoke fixed. Not sure what was wrong with it, but I know he got a new one and they charged him $200 for the part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
long story short the only place i'm going to be getting this yoke is the dealer.

i brought it to my buddy to see what he thought about the whole thing, and he said he would try welding it for me...he ground a v shape where the two pieces cracked, put it in a vice and welded it...hes 30 years older than me and has a lot of experience, but i'm not sure i trust it to stay together...am i crazy to put it back in?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i watched him weld it up.

he took both halves and burnt off all the old grease with an oxy acetylene torch...then he took both halves, and ground the edges of the crack, to make a "V" when it went back together, then he wire wheeled both peices, propped them back together with clamps, burnt it again with a torch, then welded both sides of the V.

he was concerned with what material it was made of...he said if it was cast it was most like going to break, but he said if it was forged it would be just as strong as new...he also said hes never done this before hahaha

whats a yoke usualy made of?

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
I wouldn't run a welded one on my truck. The drive shaft recieves the torque of engine after the transmission multiplies it. 400ft/lb at the crank equals approx 1200 ft/lb at the driveshaft, assuming a 3.06 1st gear ratio.

Put 1200 ft/lb through a 3/4" drive ratchet and see what happens. At those torque levels, I wouldn't trust the root metal after being welded. In other words, I think the weld would survive, but the internal stress from welding would cause another crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts