Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The middle of last week one of Mr. Goodwrench's finest (neighbor) brought me an "injector cleaner" kit that the local Chevy house is now touting as the best for our injectors. Pour one bottle of injector cleaner fluid in my CAT and one bottle of fuel additive in the fuel tank. The Manufacturor's name is MOC, The Professional's Choice.

I tried it and I can't prove it yet because I have not filled up yet, but it seems to run quieter and the MPGs 'seem' to have increased. Perceptions, maybe.

Anyone ever heard of this product? I ran the gamit of internet look-see and can't find much on this stuff. Anybody use this yet?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Poured a bottle in my Cat and you should see the vet bill I got.

Sorry, just reading the 50 free hp topic and got caught up in it. Like to know if one of the Techs here knows of it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mitch, my dealer has a cleaner also. One of the Techs said they have had good results with two out of three engines they tried it in. All three were out of warranty. Needless to say there were at least two happy customers. Later! Frank

PS: Glad to hear the boy is doing well.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mitchagain

Can you follow up with neighbor and get more info as in GM recommendations or is it dealer specific ??

Mac

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mackin,

The service writter has been pestering me for a couple of months to try it out. It seems that theuy want about $130 for the service. When I asked him how they did the service he said "not exactly sure but I know they flush the injectors under pressure". Hmmmm says I. On the price board in the shop is the suggested 30,000 mile Injector Service. So I think about it longer. He gives me the impression that this service is GM approved. (I showed him and the service manager my post OEM CAT setup, and though impressed they would not condone or support the install. Said GM would not either. Oh well.) I did an internet search on the product name and the only real good hit I got was a GM service center in the midwest touting this same stuff at the same milage service.

Well the neighbor kid comes over the other day and after the usual bantering and BS, he tells me that he gets a free kit of the "injector cleaner" for every 3 that he does directly from the distributor. "Want to try it?" Hell yes, bring it on. So I ask him about this pressurized injector service that the service writter is trying to sell me. "Yep, pressured from about 6,000 to 20,000 psi. Bosch has a hellova pressure system." And he smiles. Just pour the bottle in the filter, post OEM or OEM, which ever is the closest to the pump. Make sure the system is primed then start her up and run old DMAX for about 15-30 minutes. Like I said I don't have any proof of the mpg benefit yet, but after the weekend I will post the results of the next fillup. I can attest to the fact that the Dmax is quieter though.

BTW, WillowCreekStable, if that old cat of yours still has a problem, I got a couple of cures. Preparation H administered hourly or a .357!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WillowCreekStable, there aint but 2 good uses for a cat - - - - targets and bait! Sounds like you figgered that out too!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I may be the "one out of three" that Frank Blum mentioned. Found a Shell Station yesterday with fuel at $2.15 so decided to top it off. Just a tad under 15mpg which is about normal for city driving for me. More later. In the mean time, hope to hear from others if this injection cleaner is an official GM approach to injector longevity.

See Ya, Mitch

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds like GM is attempting to make THEIR $$$ warranty fix problem, OUR maintenance $$$ problem.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I was recommended regular use of a BG product called BG "44-K Tune up in a can" Its about $19 for a one can treatment. It is touted as the only fuel sytem treatment approved for Mercedes diesels.
Snake oil? I'm not sure, but BG does have a pretty good reputation.

Regards,

Pepperidge

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have used the BG product in an old mercury v6 with injection. I can attest to the fact that the car ran like a raped ape afterwards. Seemed to need a dose of BG about every 6 months or so, but it always improved the MPG and overall perforomance. Was not aware that they made a diesel product too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts