Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke to the dealership and one of the customer rep advised me that the idle on the new 600 Cummins was not recommended for long periods of time. He offered to re-program my commuter to set a 3 piston idle. Anyone can shed lights on the matter that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Wonder if the program alters powered piston selection in sets of 3 pistons (50% duty cycle)? If so that would still have the effect of washing out the cylinders in twice the length of time. Guess that's better than normal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
After further thought... maybe fuel cycling the pistons allows the unfueled cylinders to replenish lubricants to the cylinder and wash out is avoided.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Caterpillar has been using cylinder cut out on it's large 3500B series DTA engines for many years. The computer cut cylinders randomly when the engine is cold, this cuts down on smoking. They sound like they are comming apart during cylinder cut out. I work with 5 of these big Cats and have over 30,000 hrs on them and not 1 cylinder has washed. Cylinder washing is caused by the fuel not being burned. In order to cut out a cylinder you have to cut the fuel, hence no washing. Any how it is the rings that wash out not the cylinder. If you do the math, 30,000 hours @ 60 MPH is 1,800,000 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts