Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to know which one is a direct replacement for my 97 f series? I need one since my ses light keeps coming on with my turbo master and BD reflash which does not like anything over 10 lbs. I know there are cheaper boost foolers, but I just want a direct plug in. I know they sell them at Summit, but which is the right one?

I know I really need the Heath reflash or such, but do not have the money right now and just need a cheap fix. My ses light reads boost sensor out of range. Thanks

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You can look here for MAP sensor info. If you use one of these part numbers and it works, would you please post your results back here for future reference? You might also want to post the correctly functioning 3 Bar MAP part number in the Part Point...

Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Are those part numbers for a direct replacement map sensor for my burb?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
52172;1578966; said:
thanks! Are those part numbers for a direct replacement map sensor for my burb?
The information that I found (here on DP) referenced the 1987 Buick GNX MAP sensor as the correct part. A google search led me to the site above which correctly listed the same (or rather updated) part number as the appropriate GM 3 bar MAP. I would order the 12223861, 3 bar MAP and expect that to be the correct one...

I should tell you though, that I do not have or use the 3 bar MAP and would like to know if it works out for you!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Also found an AC Delco part number of 213-1562 for 3 Bar MAP...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have one for a GNX too. works perfect

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Chicago TDP;1652249; said:
I have one for a GNX too. works perfect
CTDP -

Does the 3 Bar MAP skew the TechII readings for monitoring boost pressure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I almost think it would have to GB, sort of like a lowered reading on a fooler equipped one.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Turbine Doc;1653063; said:
I almost think it would have to GB, sort of like a lowered reading on a fooler equipped one.
Roger that.

Do you think this would impact the way the PCM fuels for a given engine condition (for the good or the bad)? I know that this would "allow" the PCM to provide fueling to higher boost levels, but would the rest of the fuel curve below the original limit (12 PSI?) be affected...?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Good question, hadn't thunk about it since going reflash which tweaks everything along with more boost, it may very well just do what you surmise.

Next time I drive the Burb (still stock) I'll fit on my Kennedy fooler from the early days on the truck, and do a comparison stock fueling rates vs fooled rates for same speed, to see if PCM is defueling any on basis of boost vs engine rpm.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I do not know how the 6.5 is programmed, but the Dmax ECM doesn't use boost values for fueling as far as I can tell, which used to confuse me alot. Fueling is mostly governed by pedal position vs. RPM.

The reason I think is that fueling affects boost, so fueling based on boost is putting the cart before the horse, so you'd never accelerate.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
PS - I'm not "lurking" in the 6.5 section for any particular reason, I just click on the Last 10 Topics too much! :D

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
If fuel wouldn't increase without Boost, the engine would run like a N\A, and we wouldn't get all these black smoke-no power posts for loss of Boost - we'd just get help! no power.

If fuel increased as Boost increased, we'd have good-running turbo-charged engines under most circumstances.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
gmctd;1653550; said:
If fuel increased as Boost increased, we'd have good-running turbo-charged engines under most circumstances.
That is what appears to be happening with the reflash I'm running, boost-fuel-shift sort of linear to APP, some of the others I tried, just dumped one or other, kind of wussily accelerated, so I'm thinging factory tune isn't smart, and that is why a good reflash/rechip works well for the 6.5

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Boost is byproduct of fuel - monitor your fuel rate, watch EGT's

disconnect your wastegate, take a run and see what happens

adj the wg for 3psi, take a run

adj the wg for 7psi, take a run

adj the wg for 10psi, take a run

adj the wg for 15psi, take a run

Remembering that your foot is not gonna be as far into it at 0 Boost as at 15psi, if Boost does regulate the fuel rate, then somebody's done their homework above and beyond the APP\RPM relationship

I'd be surprised if you didn't get the same 72mm at 7psi, 10psi, and 15psi - even at 0psi, if you would keep your foot in it there

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
McRat;1653522; said:
I do not know how the 6.5 is programmed, but the Dmax ECM doesn't use boost values for fueling as far as I can tell, which used to confuse me alot. Fueling is mostly governed by pedal position vs. RPM.

The reason I think is that fueling affects boost, so fueling based on boost is putting the cart before the horse, so you'd never accelerate.
While this may be true, isn't it also true that the DMax uses the MAF tables to "smoke limit"? It is wholly possible to do this without a MAF sensor. You would need to derive an "algorithm" (not Al Gore rhythm) to determine the mass airflow into the engine using boost pressure, IAT, and RPM. This smoke limiting via boost, IAT, and RPM is what I am wondering exists in the stock 6.5 ECM...

I know that you can disconnect the wastegate control and go do a "very" smokey run, but it is impossible to tell without a scanner attached if you are getting "full fueling"...

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
The S trucks of my vintage have a MAF, and is a input to PCM, but a dumbed down one I think, from what I view on scan tool does not seem to impact fuel delivery, if I read the manual correctly it does give airflow input but more to let EGR know when it needs to be pulsing. One of those "black informational holes" for how exactly how/why it works.

I think GB without MAF fully engaged preprogrammed algortihms must be there, which is why/how it isn't hard to set a "go limp" protection mode if say boost is too far out of whack high or low, or IAT not matching expected boost vs rpm.

FWIW the programmer that does Heath's & I supect Westers also from what I hear, have gone into & tweaked the algorithm to get better performance. I ran Hypertech, Z Ind and the early chips/programs did not do such a good job of mapping the curves, and did not have a very driveable tune.

Prior to getting reflash I ran a F PCM which gave marked performance over the S program it came with, so there are some program differences for the S truck to gain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts