Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just replaced my fuel filter after I was getting terrible fuel mileage about 3 weeks ago. Since then it has just got worse... a calculated 3.9 MPG for the entire tank. :eek: I have been getting a calculated 19 MPG prior to this winter, WTF is going on? I only got 89 miles on my last tank, how is this possible? Injectors? Engine issues? I am only running 33s so that cant make that big of a difference.

any suggestions would be awesome, I cant wait till i go to the dealership to have them check this out and tell me its cause of my tires and lift...

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Fuel leak? Since you opened the fuel system, check everywhere you were and see if there is any wetness.

Is someone siphoning your tank?

Just because alot of fuel is gone in so few miles, doesn't mean it actually made it into the motor.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel leak? Since you opened the fuel system, check everywhere you were and see if there is any wetness.

Is someone siphoning your tank?

Just because alot of fuel is gone in so few miles, doesn't mean it actually made it into the motor.

thats what i was thinking, its a little hard to get under and around the truck as its 10 degrees and we just got 2 ft of that damn white stuff. Ill have to check my lift pump, it may have a leak aft of the pump and getting caught by the frame rail.

as far as the siphoning i doubt it but its a possibility, I wouldn't put it past some of the ubber ******** that live in this town...but I also noticed that my fuel gauge dropped significantly after just a 10 mile trip back and forth.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
wow 89 miles to a tank is unheard of. i'd agree w/ pa32rt sounds like someone is siphoning the tank to me, and being in NY i wouldn't doubt it.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
check your oil level make sure its not way high and diluted with fuel.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You gotta have a leak. If you were actually running that much fuel through it, I think you would be the king of smoke. I would also think you would notice a leak that big too. I bet you have that special fuel that evaporates in the dark.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
just sit outside one night with a shotgun and i bet you could make them think twice about comin back for your diesel.

this has been hapening to my grandparents, some ass hole neighboors drive out there at night and siphon their gas out of their cars. the guys dont do it when other family is in town though and they can always tell cuz the extra cars. wish we could catch them.

if they were siphoning out of a seperate tank like a storage tank in your yard and not out of your car you could put like 5 gallons of diesel, then about a pound of sugar in the tank. then theyd be spendin a lot more on repairs than theyre saving by steeling your fuel. i hate it when ppl steel.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
those damn canadians, now the river is frozen they dont have to swim, prob ride there "snow machines" down here with diesel tanks. ill keep an eye out

hahaha thanks for the laugh! :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably would mean you haven an injector(s) stuck open.:( I think thats what he was meaning.

well the truck smokes, but only when i get into it the big tune on my DSP5, but not normal driving. I hope its not a stuck injector:mad:. I will check tomm for leaks, finals weeks has my balls stapled to lib. That tank was a good $80 waste

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just sit outside one night with a shotgun and i bet you could make them think twice about comin back for your diesel.

this has been hapening to my grandparents, some ass hole neighboors drive out there at night and siphon their gas out of their cars. the guys dont do it when other family is in town though and they can always tell cuz the extra cars. wish we could catch them.

if they were siphoning out of a seperate tank like a storage tank in your yard and not out of your car you could put like 5 gallons of diesel, then about a pound of sugar in the tank. then theyd be spendin a lot more on repairs than theyre saving by steeling your fuel. i hate it when ppl steel.

well ill keep it an option, you think they would be scared away by the huge Busch Light Welcome Hunters sign, and deer hanging from our porch...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hopefully they don't get as smart as the crooks in my area.

Didn't happen to my truck, but the other work trucks are stored outside the shop at night t our old shop. First they would siphon. Then we put locks. They busted the locks. Then we put a blocker plate in the tubing so they could not stick a siphoning tube down. They cut the tubes. Next was building a plate around the tubes and welded in place so they could not get to it. Then they went under the truck, busted the senders and siphoned through that. Then we started parking the trucks close (within 1/4" of eath other) and it seemed to work for a while till we eventually packed up and left...

Hopefully it's a simple problem like that instead of a leak.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Didn't happen to my truck, but the other work trucks are stored outside the shop at night t our old shop. First they would siphon. Then we put locks. They busted the locks. Then we put a blocker plate in the tubing so they could not stick a siphoning tube down. They cut the tubes. Next was building a plate around the tubes and welded in place so they could not get to it. Then they went under the truck, busted the senders and siphoned through that. Then we started parking the trucks close (within 1/4" of eath other) and it seemed to work for a while till we eventually packed up and left...

Good Lord! someone's that despirate for fuel you'd think they'd just do dive-offs. Who has that much time to bust all of your theft-guards to get a few gallons of fuel?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

thats when its time to bust out the 12

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
keylock is the only way to go. You are lucky it was a siphon, and not something nasty added to your fuel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
keylock is the only way to go. You are lucky it was a siphon, and not something nasty added to your fuel.
A pair of channel locks and the plastic is all busted off.

Too bad they dont make full metal ones like they do for the older cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.