Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delphi's latest press release mentions Quadrasteer, reinforcing the comments made by owners here:

"As Quadrasteer enters its third year of production, post purchase research indicates 99 percent of owners would recommend the system to family and friends. Quadrasteer is now a $1,995 option and has been added to GM's new 2004 3/4 ton crew cab. Delphi also is developing future generations of Quadrasteer that integrate four-wheel steering with brake-based stability control systems for safer, earlier intervention during emergency situations and reduced likelihood of a rollover."

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Wow.... plow some snow with that.

·
Registered
861 Posts
but isn't that just the 2500 crew not the 2500HD?

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
I'm sure once testing is done and everything gets beefed up and Ironed out Q-steer will be avaliable on the 2500HD with the dmax. The Army has some for testing now. It can be done, there is a variation of it on some tour buses...I've seen it in action but I didn't see if it was a live axle or how made it. I just hope I can afford one a year or two after it comes out...I want one...maybe if I switch to the Army...

Ox

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
tmg115 said:
but isn't that just the 2500 crew not the 2500HD?

It's my understanding that the reason it's available on the 3/4 Subs is because they use the same frame and drive train as the Heavy Half. So I'll bet it's not available for the HD's.

I've not been able to find anything about GM altering the Allison or the rear axles for the HD's to run this, but I'm sure it's in the works. I also think that is the biggest reason for the re-introduction of the 3500 SRW....

Think of how easy a fiver would be to handle in tight spots with it...

·
Registered
183 Posts
A cousin of mine has a 2500 CC with Quadrasteer on order. It's the regular ¾ ton, not the HD.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The G80 is an AAM axle while the G86 is a Dana axle. You can only get the G86 axle with QUADRASTEER on 1/2 ton trucks and 3/4 ton SUV's. Dana developed their own limited slip for the G86. You cannot get it with the AAM G80.

It's a 9 3/4" ring and pinion from here

Even firetrucks use a similar system:
click here

The HD army version is here

Edited by: TxDoc

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TxDoc said:
Even firetrucks use a similar system:
click here

And it works great!!!!

We've got two 105ft Quints with tandem rear axles and they are both what Pierce calls "All Steer". Pierce is owned by Oshkosh who's built all sorts of truck types including a lot of Army stuff. The steerable rear axles on the Pierce trucks is essentially the front axle from an Army five ton truck. It's computer controlled and powered by the second PTO of the big Allison tranny. Neat system.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
I was just thinking, and this isn't a new truck, just a new name. GM used to call it a 1500HD, so that people would buy a "half ton" crew cab...now they have the 1500 with a 5'8.5" bed and crew cab coming out for those who want a GM like the SuperCrew but don't want an Avalanche...so in short, last years heavy half (1500HD) is this years light 3/4 (2500)...

Ox

1 - 11 of 11 Posts