Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing here. For the first few miles of each trip the trans seems to slip the 3-4 shift under light accel. If you get on it a bit its fine. After truck warms up it shifts fine, I have less than 40k on the truck and amsoil in the pan and a edge evo on level two. Fluid is full and filter has about 10k on it. Whats the deal? Do i have the start of a failed trans or is it something simple? I have put the tune back to stock and it is the same. Its not locking out the shift due to cold temp I know what thats like and thats not what its is doing. What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Diesel Tuner
2,571 Posts
Mine always did that. Don't know why, but when I tore it down for a stage 4, all the clutches looked brand new. So i guess it doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really hope its no big deal. It has only been doing it for the last 3-4k I think its doing it less with the stock tune the more i drive it. It shifts fine if i get on it so i would think its something to do with computer. Not really that noticeable unless you really ***** foot it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Strange thing here. For the first few miles of each trip the trans seems to slip the 3-4 shift under light accel. If you get on it a bit its fine. After truck warms up it shifts fine, I have less than 40k on the truck and amsoil in the pan and a edge evo on level two. Fluid is full and filter has about 10k on it. Whats the deal? Do i have the start of a failed trans or is it something simple? I have put the tune back to stock and it is the same. Its not locking out the shift due to cold temp I know what thats like and thats not what its is doing. What do you guys think? Thanks
The shifts adapt to certain temperature and throttle conditions. It can't converge if the power level changes for a given throttle (the engine broadcast doesn't know that you're changing power levels).

Also be sure that you're not overfilled. Bottom of the "HOT" band as checked with the tans sump temp at 175 - 180F, engine idling in Park.
Too much fluid causes heat and aeration. This air gets into the clutch and can make for soft shifts. The 3-4 is sensitive to this air. Air can also get in the clutch when the truck is shutdown, the fluid can drain out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually mine is hanging up (delayed shift) in 3-4 gear under wide open throttle. Just started doing it. Is there something wrong with the tranny?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You probably need to change your fuel filter. Engine down on power doesn't make the shift point like it should.

Interesting you say that! I'm 2000 miles over due on a fuel filter change. Goes in Monday for servicing. So you think its the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Interesting you say that! I'm 2000 miles over due on a fuel filter change. Goes in Monday for servicing. So you think its the fuel filter?
Yes. Seen it many times. Its the first thing I'd change for what you describe. Even if you weren't over on miles, a bad batch of fuel can clog it in a hurry. Biodiesel is worse about plugging filters too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks Crafty! I'll post back and let you guys know how I make out after the fuel filter change...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Changed the fuel filter. Problem solved!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.