Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in alaska and am looking at buying a kodiak topkick. I am new to these beasts. I am wanting to know how the 2x4 does in snow and ice. I know the 4x4 would do much better but for the price i can get this one for, i might be inclined to buy this one in town. any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
4x4 4x4 and dont get one unless its 4x4. The 2wd's really suck and get stuck in just a few inches of snow when empty, loaded they do better, but if your pulling a triler, you got more weight to drag through the the snow. Ie an empty trailer dont put much weight on the rears to help w/traction but adds laot of drag. 4x4 is a must.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I tried a 2x4 5500 first and the first day I had it at home there was about an inch of snow in the grass. I was backing it up to the trailer and got stuck in that inch there was maybe a .5 percent grade and I couldn't go forward or backward. I had to get my 3500 to pull it out. It was sad. But I guess thats the way it is with anything thats heavy in snow or soft ground. So after that long winded example I would definitely get the 4X4 without a doubt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Antoher vote for 4x4 - I was also asking the same questions prior to getting our 5500. I figured that if I keep the truck for as long as I intend to, and regret not having the 4x4, that is going to be a long time of kicking my own @ss.

I can vouch for what has been said above - for those few times we've needed the 4x4 threw the summer months, it proved to be invaluable. Now that we plow snow with it (something not in the original plan, but since it's a 4x4...) the functionality has been multiplied.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in Tennessee, not much snow here but I get stuck on wet grass on flat ground with a 2WD, would not consider a 2WD if much snow was here

·
Registered
188 Posts
If I could do it over again, I would get the 4X4.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just out of curosity, what is the price difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive??

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know where you exactly plan on drivin' but I was foolish I bought a 2 wheel 3/4 to pull a horse trailer cause i'm almost always on ashalt. but just goin behind the barn to hook onto the trailer my one front tire sopped in a rut only an inch deep an my back tires were on ice... I was stuck. I was drivin' on the driveway one day an i the lil dip in the drive and an icy drive I was stuck in the lil valley. I was stuck there for 5 hours tryin to get out. long an short of it. I've driven a topkick 2wd I even powed snow with it but it I lifted the plow an tried to drive where I hadn't plowed yet I was stuck. Just think bout what your usin' it for an the difference in price compared to the cos of gettin' a tow when your stuck an could have used 4x4 to get out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts