Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not that I know of. I would think you'd have to do it all custom. It would be a huge PITA, IMO.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Another thing to consider is Gm stopped making them already,and they never put them on trucks with big blocks or duramaxes.I have a feeling getting parts for the few yrs they had them is goingto be a problem in the future.They made them on the HDs for what 2 yrs,when parts fail,and they will,where are you going to get them.I can see ppl ripping them out in 5-6 yrs and putting in straight axles,once Gm's obligation to provide parts runs out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Most of the parts were leftovers that GM hadn't used in a long time, tie rod ends and what not. The actuators can have the motors replaced pretty easy. I would say, parts will not be that hard to find in a few years. As for putting it in a truck that didn't have it origionally, it is possible, but would be VERY expensive. You would need the sensor that goes in the column, wiring harness, control computer for the module, the ENTIRE rear axle assembly, the box or sides of a box for a Q-steer truck, and the actuator assembly itself.

It's too bad, driving one of those trucks was an experience. Towing with them was a treat, I just wish it was strong enough to handle a Dmax.
If they had a Crew Cab, Dmax, with Quadrasteer, there would be two sitting in my driveway right now.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I just wish it was strong enough to handle a Dmax..
I would hate to see a boosted launch with a Q-steer converted Dmax!:eek:

But yes, it would be a lovely thing...a q-steer crew cab Dmax!! I love the "mini dually" fenders on the q-steer trucks. Ive been throwing the idea around of adding them to my truck. With the cool lights and everything!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ben do you have any pictures of the "mini dually" fenders? Ive never seen them before and sounds interesting!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
do an ebay search for "quadrasteer"

there should be a couple pickups with it and you'll see the sweet little rear fenders im talking about. ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't know Ben, might look a little ghetto...NOT THE GOOD KIND!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ben, i have to agree with OneTALLGMC96, i think the mini fenders would look like crap. If you do anything go full dually!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got an '04 GMC quadrasteer 1/2 ton that I use for work and I absolutely love driving it. If they ever fitted the quadrasteer to a Duramax truck, my Chevy diesel would be for sale and I'd have one.
There's nothing like it on the road.

Gar

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
check out the f250 fabtech built for sema in the new diesel power. do something like that. it would be awesome.:ro)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
can it be done? is there a kit you can buy to retrofit it onto a 2001-up gen. truck?
I didn't read through all the replies, so it may have been covered. The 11.5" AAM rear axles on these trucks are about twice as strong as the ones that come on the Q-steer trucks. So you would be down grading maybe 50% or more. (Not a good idea if you haul or tow heavy loads!)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've got an '04 GMC quadrasteer 1/2 ton that I use for work and I absolutely love driving it. If they ever fitted the quadrasteer to a Duramax truck, my Chevy diesel would be for sale and I'd have one.
There's nothing like it on the road.

Gar
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It was a $5K option on 1500's only, based on the 9.5" axle. Reckon the RPO price was too steep for most folks, not to mention how much $$$ it costs to fix it.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
In the end it was a $2000 option. They should have put it on all vehicles to lower the costs of it.
It used the dana 60 axle

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been lurking here for a while, gathering diesel info for when I step up to an LBZ later this year or next (if they change over the body style). I've got an '04 2500 Quadrasteer crew cab and love it (almost). The 6.0 is one serious dog engine and the mileage sucks too. I have a custom tune which helped out immensely.

GM blew it so bad with the QS program. If they offered it on the 2500 HD's with the D/A combo GM would have cornered the market for all the snow birds, the toy trailer haulers, you know who I'm talking about. GM's advertising also blew it only showing the ease of maneuvering a trailer, not the ease of driving in everyday situations like narrow parking lots. At the originally offered price of $7000 it was a rip off, but at $1800 when I bought mine it was well worth it.

Getting back to the original question of doing the conversion, just buy a truck with the QS setup it will be cheaper in the long run.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I love those mini dually Qsteer fenders!

·
Registered
955 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts