Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live at 10K feet and I am leaning toward Racor pre EOM. Do any of you flatlanders see any problems I may encounter at this elevation?

The Dmax runs GREAT up here

Steve

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fishdmax,

As atmospheric pressure is reduced and additional vacuum is created with a second fuel filter, it just may be prone to air coming out of solution in the fuel. That could bubble at the top of your filters and cause problems. When I was a science teacher I used to boil ice water under low air pressure for a similar situation. Neat to see but not desirable in a fuel system.

Some kind of lift pump might be helpful if needed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Steve,

I am installing the nictane cat system this weekend. I live in Colorado Springs, at 6000 feet. Regularly go up into the front range, in the 9-10K range. I will post here my results asap.

John

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John. I live in Leadville (10,200') and don't want to add the second filter if it is going to cause problems.

p.s. Snowing and 32 degrees right now Edited by: fishdmax

·
Registered
448 Posts
FWIW,

At 10,000 ft many turbine eng. helicopters turn on their fuel boost pumps to prevent vapor lock. I know apples and oranges, but the fuel is very similar to winter diesel fuel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I too would be interested in the what the altitude does to the second filter.

I do NOT have a second filter yet, I'm still analysing (and there's a lot of that to be done.
), but we do vacation in CO regularly, so I would like to know what affect altitude is going to have...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CADman, your fuel filter pics are scary. I've changed my filter every 10K miles, or after returning from Mexico, which ever is first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
fishdmax said:
CADman, your fuel filter pics are scary....

That's why I thinking about getting another one!! I'm just trying to decide what the best deal is.
At this point, I'm leaning towards the Racor, ONLY because I think that I have a good outlet for the filters themselves, but I haven't verified this yet...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
217 Posts
Went to Denver, over monument pass, 7400 ft max elevation. No problems. Have not gone higher yet, but plan to run up to Cripple Creek this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

John

·
Registered
994 Posts
Fishdmax,

I have a Racor 660 installed Pre-OEM on the frame rail. Using the Kent-Moore Vacuum/Pressure Gauge that connects to the DMAX fuel system test port, I measured the test port vacuum before and after the supplemental filter install. The resulting change in vacuum after the supplemental filter install was not measurable (at least in a static condition, i.e. the vehicle not moving). The gauge itself can only resolve down to changes of 0.25 inHg (at best). The Racor Model 660 spec for vacuum drop across the filter at maximum flow is 0.10 inHg. So the measurement data I obtained is consistent with what Racor spec'd. In my opinion, I would not worry about an additional vacuum drop due to a supplemental filter install. Just keep your new plumbing as short and straight as possible.

Given your high altitude, the cold temperatures you encounter in the winter may be your biggest problem. As others have suggested above, if you use the Racor product you should consider obtaining the optional 200 watt heater.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, just got back from Cripple Creek this evening....for those that are not familiar with Colorado this is a little town tucked away up in the mountains behind Pikes Peak, with basically one industry...gambling. It's elevation is about 9400 feet, and the max elevation to get there from Colorado Springs is 10,180 feet. (I had my GPS to get a good altitude reading). Up and back no problem at all. Good acceleration, very smooth. In short, no issues.
(Other than the little problem of my wallet being considerably lighter on the way back)
. One of these days I will take it for a drive to the top of Pike's Peak (a little over 14,000 feet), and will report in.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts