Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went & bought another D/A, a 2002-3500 GMC CC w/42000 mi.In great shape as far as I can tell so far.A couple things wrong are the rear springs clunking. Is there any fix besides replacement of springs?I already lubed them,that didn't work & all the pads are between the leaves. Also, the oil press guage reads high,at idle cold it is pegged at 80.Hot idle is about 55.Does anyone know where the sensor is? Anyone know where a site to do a test read is?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My truck had the spring clunk. It was missing the round pads that are at the ends of the very bottom spring. I know you said you already looked, but when I took my truck in the tech didn't even know there were supposed to be pads at this location. He was preoccupied with the insulators that are held in with the band clamps on the upper springs.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Bullseye

Looking at your location your oil pressure is a bit puzzling ....I could see those readings in the North East in the dead of winter ,but Florida ?? Of course unless your on the cold side ,,,,

I'm not saying that you may have a problem as I've seen them oil pressure levels in my Max also ,but in a much coulder climate .....

What I would do is change oil and filter to confirm proper viscosity ....

Did you buy it privately or from a dealer ??

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
540 Posts
First due an oil change. Maybe there is sludge in the crankcase instead of oil.

Next I wouldn't worry too much. My truck always runs 80+ psi oil pressure cold.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bullseye,

Mine started doing the same thing with the oil press guage, luckily I have my X-Monitor which reads normal oil press. I think its the sensor.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine pegs at stratup and drops back as it gets warmer then normal temps.

I just had the spring isolators replaced on my '01 "under warranty" LOL....35K, had to get something done before it's up! LOL

Went around the entire truck making a list, checking it twice, seeing what was naughty.....opps that was last week LOL

Just the isolators and a broken washer pump (I am sure they broke that when they replaced the leaking delco a month before).

Isolator is a $5.00 part (I think) and you can do it yourself! Have at it. Bottom spring, not the top as advised above.

No need to replace or grease springs. Only slaps when you hit a bump or a dip in the road I bet.

You should do a complete service on the truck, then you have a new starting point and won't be adding any neglect that occurred before if it did. Do the rear diff, tranny fluid, oil, all filters and fuel filter as well, grease it good and take a hard look as you go.

Then you can relax and enjoy it wiithout wondering how long that tranny fluid or rear diff fluid has been in there. This assume you did not get any prior maintenance records from the previous owner or dealer records.

Good LuckEdited by: Chevysrus

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the isolators same as Mackin put on to resolve the clunk in the rear but it didn't help. I actually think the noise is coming from the overload spring up top. I haven't had a chance to remove the bracket and see yet, but I will when it warms up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I took care of the oil press problem.Changed filter & oil,when I changed the filter I set it next to the new filter & it was 1/4" shorter & gasket was different.I called GMC & checked #,they said one on truck was for 6.5TD.Now have correct filter & oil.Press is about same as my '03 is,70 cold & 40 hot,much better.Bought truck from a Dodge dealer explains alot.I'm going to change diff. oil this afternoon & do trans next week.Mackin thanks for pix & part # I'll get them when I take the '03 in to have the steering clunck fixed this week.Thanx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had the same problem with rattling springs. The new isolators on the bottom leaf front and back fixed her up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have the two-piece driveshaft, mark the rear of it (so it can be put back in the way it was taken out), clip the clamp holding the rear of the rubber boot, take the bolts out of the rear u-joint, remove the back driveshart, lube the front spline real good and then reattach everything. That will stop you rear spring clunking. It did mine - like to drove me and the dealership crazy before the dmaxallitech on this forum told me what to do. By the way, just get a good heavy duty screw clamp to replace the special GM clamp you cut off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts