Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer's service people don't seem to be up on the latest- went to ask them about the above for a new '04 LLY with the stock 105 single alternator.

They weren't even aware of the option....

Is this possible? Is it much more involved than bolt-on? Are there connectors in place for electrical, or would these have to be made?

When operating a plow for example, how far does the gauge/meter have to drop before you overdraw? My needle dipped but not that far below mid-line before levelling back out.

Never had problems running this plow (a light-duty 695 lb-er) on my 02 8100, but don't know what alternator came stock with that engine. Anyone know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well, here's what my dealer told me... In order to be able to figure out what bits you'd need to do it, you need to actually go out and find a vehicle with that, and then copy it's VIN. Once you have that, then they can key in the VIN and be able to pull up schematics and give you part numbers from there.. They made it sound like it'd be a big pain in the butt... I am equally interested in setting up the dual alternator on my truck to power all the electrical accessories I pack around... welder, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoolin, I'm still waiting to hear from dmax. In the meantime, let me say that the above explanation seems like a load of BS. Look up an existing vehicle to see part numbers? Really, come on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed my own 2nd alternator on my '02 last year. My original alt. is the 105amp and my second alt. is 130 amp. I needed a bracket, 4 - 5 bolts, a new serpentine belt, and the electrical plug for the new alternator, and pins for the ECM connector, if I remember right. I obtained everything but the alt. from GMpartsdirect.com for around $60 IIRC - got the alt. off ebay, a takeoff, for about $80. Involved adding one wire and pin to the ECM connector. I can dig up part numbers and better directions if anyone wants them. If you have a Helms manual, the diagram for the wiring is there - that's what I used.

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don,

I was hoping someone would tell me it was as simple as a bolt-on, essentially. Yes, I'd like to see anything you have time to put together. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK - here's what I have:

mounting bracket, 1 required, p/n 9712348

idler pulley, 1 required, p/n 97233352

terminal for ECM, 1 required, p/n 12084813

connector for alternator, 1 required, p/n 15306071

serpentine belt, 1 required, p/n 9730065 (this is part no. for 2002 non-California emissions)

bolt, 1 required, p/n 11516360 (lower alternator mounting)

bolt, 1 required, p/n 11515769 (idler pulley)

bolt, 2 required, p/n 94009975 (mounting bracket to engine)

cable, 1 required, p/n 15321209 (cable with boot, connects alternator to positive stud)

alternator of your choice. You may use another 105A or a 130A for the aux. alternator. Not sure about the 145A. I have a 105A original alternator and a 130A aux. and it works fine. I have the part numbers for the original 2002 alts. The 130A I have is a different number but it fit fine. All of the above numbers worked on my 2002 and all but the serpentine belt listed above also fit 2001's. I have no idea if they'll work with an LLY if that's what you're putting it on but hopefully it'll give you a place to start.

The install is fairly simple. First, remove the serpentine belt. Next, install the bracket. Then, install the idler pulley. Next, install the alternator into the bracket. Install the cable and boot onto the alternator stud, and connect to the battery cable junction block (the red plastic box near the 2nd alternator). Then, connect the brown lead from the aux. alternator connector (pin B) to ECM 32C1 (connector 1, pin 32).

The hardest part of the install is crimping the ECM terminal onto the conductor to the aux. alternator and properly mounting it into C1. Again, I don't know if these instructions hold true for 2003 - 2004 trucks. The Helms manual provides good diagrams of this connection.

I see Eric (dmaxallitech) has complete dual alternator kits advertised on his new website. Once that's up and running, that would be a good source for all of the required parts and the alternator.

Good Luck!

Don

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to intall ONE BIG alt?
Say 240 amper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts