Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is for those w/ 285s on stock wheels - Are the wheels too skinny for those tires or do they look ok? - I want 285s but, will settle for 265s also. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
heres some 295's on stockers for ya

Attachments

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
IMHO, they are too narrow.
There are those who run 305/70's on stockers, but it is not recommended.

If you aren't towing heavy, you'll probably be "okay", but I didn't care for the "pinch" on mine and moved up to 16x8's a week after I bought the tires.

·
Registered
975 Posts
you'll wear out the center of the tread faster, which really sucks when you realize how much you're spending on these big shoes for your truck. It will also create unnecessary heat and wear on the sidewals.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Ditto w/ my dueller AT Revo's no problem

·
Registered
311 Posts
5,000 miles on my 285 bfg's and they still look brand new. Drives good, rides good, looks great. Must be a reason i see about 10 different trucks per day with the exact same setup.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
30,000 miles on mine and tread wear pattern is excellent. Just have to play with the pressure. I run 40-42 psi all around except when towing or hauling, then I increase the rears accordingly. I also rotate every 10k without fail. I do agree that it could be a sidewall flex and load problem if you do any heavy towing or loads.

·
Registered
186 Posts
4,000 miles on my Nittos and so far so good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just put 285 Firestone Destination M/T's on. I have to run 38 lbs in front and 35 on the rear. As long as you don't run them with high air (unless towing or hauling) you should be fine. I got about 40K out of my last set of 285 Nitto's with no problem.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I also run 285's with stocker's and I like the way they look.One of my buddys got 46,000 mi.out of a set of BFG AT's and he pull's a big fifth wheel all summer.They wore just fine.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
heres some 295's on stockers for ya
They look good!

How much taller are they over the 265s? What is the wheel width requirement?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you change to 285's will the deler reporgram for speedo?

·
Registered
975 Posts

They can do the 265 if you can convince them to, but I'm not sure if they're able to do the 285. It'll get you closer anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tex,

What air pressures did you run with your Nitto's?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
They can do the 265 if you can convince them to, but I'm not sure if they're able to do the 285. It'll get you closer anyway.
IIRC
Unless something has changed...They dont recal the speedo for 265's they will recalibrate the ABS though...

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Yes,they can re program for 285's.Whether or not they WILL is a different story.It really helps to know one of the tech's.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Like Pep said... they can only do the ABS computer, not the speedo.
Speedo recal needs a programmer (Predator, BullyDog, etc...)

According to Bully Dog, the ABS will throw a light if you go larger than 35 on the recalibration, since the rear wheel speed is measured from the vss and the front is measured at the wheels. Any speedo recalibration changes the balance between the two... same as a gearing change.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Like Pep said... they can only do the ABS computer, not the speedo.
Speedo recal needs a programmer (Predator, BullyDog, etc...)

According to Bully Dog, the ABS will throw a light if you go larger than 35 on the recalibration, since the rear wheel speed is measured from the vss and the front is measured at the wheels. Any speedo recalibration changes the balance between the two... same as a gearing change.
Are you positive?The tech at the local garage told me he was doing it for the speedo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts