Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just 285s on a ultra bead lock style rim and adjusted the torsion bars about 5 cranks each. it not only offers more clearance but i think looks better and evens out the ride.

BUT heres my question. on a half ton this probably isn't that big of a deal, but with all that engine weight up front is this stupid to be adjust the torsion bars like this?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
no i have done that to many trucks and they are all fine and i think yours will be fine also

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Go get an alignment!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I turned mine up 9 cranks..Works perfect..Still had to trim some fender well plastic...

Get the Alignment done as the camber will off.

i just 285s on a ultra bead lock style rim and adjusted the torsion bars about 5 cranks each. it not only offers more clearance but i think looks better and evens out the ride.

BUT heres my question. on a half ton this probably isn't that big of a deal, but with all that engine weight up front is this stupid to be adjust the torsion bars like this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I cranked my torsion bars up almost 2 inches. Took it to the alignment shop and dropped it off. When I came back to pick it up they told me they did'nt re-align it because it was fine. Just thought I'd share that bit of info. Seemed to me that it would through the camber off, but maybe mine had negative camber to begin with and I just fixed it by cranking the bars!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
drive it for a few miles and iy your tire wear funny or the truck feels funny then take it to get alighned if not just leave it alone

·
Registered
744 Posts
I cranked my torsion bars up almost 2 inches. Took it to the alignment shop and dropped it off. When I came back to pick it up they told me they did'nt re-align it because it was fine. Just thought I'd share that bit of info. Seemed to me that it would through the camber off, but maybe mine had negative camber to begin with and I just fixed it by cranking the bars!
i cranked mine 5 times, never took it to the alignment shop and my tires are all wearing even, and i have 305's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep

i cranked mine 5 times, never took it to the alignment shop and my tires are all wearing even, and i have 305's.
YEA SAME HERE ME TOO:grd:

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Cranking the T-bars will always affect caster. If it's still in spec afterward, good for you. Have it checked because a 5 turn adjustment made mine wander alot when I test rode after the 285s were on and before resetting caster. The camber and toe fell right back to spec as soon as the caster was set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you still on stock rims? Most of the time the wandering comes from the tire being to wide for the rim.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My truck is a little wishy washy at highway speeds, but it is a truck, not a sports car, and i've pushed it pretty good, and i feel very safe in it. I've got insurance. lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too have 285/75/16's on 8" MB wheels. I have the Tbars raised, and for the longest time, have been trying to get info on an actual level kit that the majority seesms to agree on. Well that isnt happening......lol. I have heard everything from leave it alone with the Tbars, to green keys and Bilsteins, to Cognito, and all the way up to a 4-6" lift.

Question............for those of you with just the Tbars raised........any long term affects, and if so what have they been? I cant justify spending money on something if I think it wont payoff. So thats where im at.

Thanks everyone.

:ro)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am not sure if I can see how you can affect Caster by cranking the Tbars up?
I can see where it would ride a lot harder and stiffer. I could even see where the camber would go negative a little.
If my memory serves me correctly, the definition of what caster is goes something like this: It is the forward or rearward tilt of the steering axis. An example of caster, is the tilt of a bicycle fork. That is what caster is. The reason we have it, is to make it easier to keep the vehicle going straight ahead. Having said this, I want to state that Caster is not a wear angle. It will not cause tire wear. Toe and Camber, and rear thrust angle will.

So, to explain Caster on a truck would be easiest to do at the ball joints top and bottom. Positive caster, is when the top ball joint sets further back than the bottom joint does. That is the top ball joint is closer to the cab than the bottom. This is what gives you better high speed control. You certainly want positive caster in vehicle, or you will be aiming the car down the road not driving it.
To adjust caster involves turning the eccentric, or cam bolts on the top A arm in such a way as to push the front part of the A arm out farther away from the frame than the back part. This will move the ball joint backwards. The more caster you have the easier it will be to drive in a straight line. However, it will be much harder to turn on pavement. Wide rims make it even worse.
To give you an idea. Mercedes Benz puts about 14 degrees of caster into their big luxery cars. Great for high speed autobahn driving. Sucks for sitting still and turning and things like that. Most cars and or trucks would have anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees positive caster in them. Makes them steer much easier. 0 or negative caster makes them turn super easy, but they have no road feel at all. That is what old cars had for caster was negative numbers. They wandered all over the road, but they steered with one finger.

So, I don't really see how caster could change unless you raised it so high, that the top A arm began moving the top bjoint forward due to it's geometry. I suppose that could happen, but I would be surprised.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Dmax04 you answered your own question. When you raise the front you reduce the caster # by a degree or 2 (don't remember the actual # change...it's been a year) and there is less steering effort but more wander. That could also be partly due to the 285s but once the caster was reset to factory spec (whatever that was) the camber went right back in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I didnot touch my T-bars when installing my 285's. No probs either

·
Registered
373 Posts
On my '06 I had to trim the lower diaper almost to the factory seam is. I've had more trouble to the back on those two-piece snaps that hold the fenderwell plastic in place. Back to the diaper, the whole corner had to come out and maybe up to 1/4" forward...(BFG TKO 285's on MB rockers)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Just put 285's on my '06 and maxxed out the T bars. Still rubs bit in reverse when turning. Time for SuspensionMaxx!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts