Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the way I am fairly new to these forums and I just love them :)

I was at my dealer looking at getting some 18 x 9 MOTO METAL 951s. I was looking at the tire size of 285/65/18 BFGs to go with the wheels, but the dealer is trying to convince me that I would better going with 265/65/18s BFGs.

I tow a 8000 lb fifth wheel and the dealer thinks the 285s will be squirly and catch all the grooves in the road while towing.

Does anyone have opinions on these two sizes and towing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are alot of people here that tow with 285's and have no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
460 Posts
bigpoppos;1629932; said:
By the way I am fairly new to these forums and I just love them :)

I was at my dealer looking at getting some 18 x 9 MOTO METAL 951s. I was looking at the tire size of 285/65/18 BFGs to go with the wheels, but the dealer is trying to convince me that I would better going with 265/65/18s BFGs.

I tow a 8000 lb fifth wheel and the dealer thinks the 285s will be squirly and catch all the grooves in the road while towing.

Does anyone have opinions on these two sizes and towing?
Go to the search option and put in "285s and towing". Click the "search titles only" and you'll have enough reading for a 6 pack of beer....

Welcome to the forum.):h :welcome: :welcome:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i just put those wheels on same size but with 305/65/18s and i have less sidewall than with a 16 and 265s, and with my 18s i get the same or better handling than with my 16s and 265s. i would go with 285s but i warn you that you will need to do some cranking and/or trimming to make them fit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to the search option and put in "285s and towing". Click the "search titles only" and you'll have enough reading for a 6 pack of beer....
dundeediesel thanks for that search tip. I have been using one word searches. I may need a case because I am a fast drinker. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been pullin a 12K pound 5th wheel for years with 285's, feel more comfortable with bigger size than OEM tires.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
i pull w/ 285s and have no probs

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I towed a 12k pound trailer a few weeks ago in a blizzared with my 285's....no problems...i would not tow more than that since my tires are only load range d...there are more options in a load range e when you have 265's

·
Registered
757 Posts
i was fed up with the stock 245s catchin every groove and taking me everywhere. now runnin 285 toyos and the wandering is now a memory. BTW, i tow a 9K tag toy hauler

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ElCaminoManT,

Did you reprogram for your ABS? Did the 285s improve your stopping?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have tried BFG TA KO's 285 D's and then 265 E's and I wont do it again!!!! The sway is horrible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH, AND THE E'S SUCK FOR TOWING TOO!
Dug71,
I am assuming you tried the 285 E's as well judgeing by your signature. Was the sway still that bad even with the 285s E's? How much weight were you towing?

I love the look of 285s, but safety is my number one concern.

By the way love those lights :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
bigpoppos;1634902; said:
Dug71,
I am assuming you tried the 285 E's as well judgeing by your signature. Was the sway still that bad even with the 285s E's? How much weight were you towing?

I love the look of 285s, but safety is my number one concern.

By the way love those lights :)
I did not try the 285E's. Just 285D's and 265E's. I wanted to make sure it was right the next time I bought tires and I thought all that extra sidewall was causing the flexing and sway, so I went down a size. No help. I really loved the look of the 285's, but safety IS # 1.

I had a camper that weighed 4K unloaded and 8K loaded and did it either way (as I found out hauling it to trade in). Now the new camper weighs 8K unloaded and does it just as bad loaded or unloaded. I have tried moving the loads all over and no change either. Tried all different settings with weight distribution hitch also and has little effect.

I did notice a 2mpg loss with the 285's/a little bit harder to get going / alot harder to stop was other problems and modifying things to fit too.

Thanks for the commet on the lights. I really like the 100w bulbs especially when I can't get someone to dim there lights. :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pulled my Fifth wheel camper with 285/75/16D on 16X8's and never had any issues with swaying. I ran them with 65psi like they where rated for.The 285's I had were rated for more weight than my stock 245's. I had Cooper Discover LTs on my truck if that matter at all. BTW my fifth weighs 8000 lbs empty.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
like my 265s......but i dont want to crank...the sway is a little more noticable with 265s and 285s.........my 265s was nothing bad .......8 inch wide rim will cure that...the factorys are 6.5 inches wide wtf were they thinking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.