Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a topic on the 'open roads forum' that matches my situation. Between 40-50 MPH the truck vibrates (maybe a better term is 'kina feels likes it is gently hopping'. Only does in within that MPH range. Folks on that forum say they found different solutions. 1) tires, 2) U-joints and 3) Driveshaft balance. Anyone else heard of this? Any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Out of the three ,tires .... What is your bed,cab configuration ?? What I'm wondering is do you have a one or two piece driveshaft ....

Mac

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mackin said:
Out of the three ,tires .... What is your bed,cab configuration ?? What I'm wondering is do you have a one or two piece driveshaft ....

Mac

Sorry, should have said - crew cab, short bed, 4WD, 1 piece driveshaft. thanks.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That sucks!

Are you guys still running with the factory tires? And does the name end with Stones? Good luck and let us know what you find out...knowledge is everything when it comes to these trucks

·
Registered
267 Posts
On lifted trucks, there is a common occurance called "death wobble", which causes the exact phenemenon as you stated at the same speed range. It can be caused by tires, alignment, something loose in the steering, wasted steering stabilizer, etc. If it is D-W, it's unlikely to be in the drivetrain, but again in the front steering/suspension. It can be very hard to track down too...

On a short wheelbase lifted vehicle, I can assure you the term is VERY accurate.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
LOOK AT THE DRIVE SHAFT REALLY GOOD. IVE SEEN TWO THAT HAD A SLIGHTLY BENT SHAFT AND HAD EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING BUT IT WAS FROM 80-85 MPH. IF ITS THE TERRIBLE FACTORY U-JOINTS NAPA HAS A GREASABLE REPLACEMENT. ITS NOT IN THIER BOOKS BUT ASK FOR A P/N 330 U-JOINT IT SHOULD FIX YOU UP IF THATS THE CASE.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had spoken with 2 service managers. Like Joe E, they both said this is a common occurance for the 2500HD crew cab with short bed. So I had just decided to live with it until others on the open road forum said they got theirs fixed. Sorry for all the questions, but I know you folks have a lot of expericence with this truck, and I really appreciate the help.

I have Michelin LTX 265's on the truck. I don't know how many miles are on them, but the tread appears 1/3 worn. The tires are way too good to consider replacing. Is there any way to test a tire to check for a 'heavy' spot within the tire that might cause something like this. Think I will also rotate the tires back to front to see there is any difference.

Think I'll lube the yoke, and install new u-joints as suggested, as I will be lubing the truck next week anyway.

Thought I would spin the driveshaft 180 degrees when reinstalling it, just to see if there is any difference - or is that a bad idea?

Joe E, what is D-W?

Is the dealership the best place to test the driveshaft to check for balance or bent? Or would you suggest an truck alignment shop?

On the question of alignment. The truck 'dogtracks' about 1-2" to the right at the rear. The truck handles fine, the tires are wearing fine so I thougt I would leave that alone. Air bags were installed on the rear axle at some point - suppose that could have caused the dogtracking. Any comments on this?

thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
D-W = death wobble.

IMO, I would disagree with the service managers that it's a common occurance, I was merely stating that in my hobby (rockcrawling), death wobble is very common for those type of vehicles (large tires which have a very pronounced effect on the steering).

Having said that, I would check your steering stabilizer, and also get to the bottom of the dog tracking. The dog-tracking is going to affect your "effective" alignment, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the main culprit. Is your rear axle off center?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I WOULDNT RUN IT AT ALL TILL I FIGURED IT OUT. I HAVE A BUDDY THAT HAD A BENT SHAFT IN HIS DUALLY AND HE RAN IT LONG ENOUGH THAT IT CRACKED THE HOUSING ON HIS TRANNY. IT WASNT A VIOLENT VIBRATION AT ALL EITHER. THE BEST WAY WITH OUT TAKING THE SHAFT TO A DRIVELINE SHOP IS -------JACK IT UP AND PUT JACKSTANDS UNDER IT HAVE SOMEONE CRANK THE TRUCK UP AND PUT IT INTO DRIVE . THEN GET ON A CREEPER AND DO NOT GET UNDER IT BUT GET CLOSE ENOUGH THAT YOU CAN GET A GOOD VIEW OF THE SHAFT. IF ITS BENT ANY AT ALL IT WILL WOBBLE LIKE THE TWO THAT I HAVE SEEN.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taking the truck to a shop next week that was recommended by the checv dealer. Will check out the dogtracking and vibration. Will post the results when I find out more.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
My vibration ended up being the RF tire. Coincidently also the one wheel and tire that had the most amount of weight on it to get it to balance. I'm sending it back to BFG. We'll see what their customer service is like.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Lakedaisy, the #1 cause of a vibration that comes in at 40 and out at 50 is tire balance. If you feel it more in the seat of your pants and the floor it is in the rear. If the steering wheel has a little shimmy, it is the front tires. Later! Frank

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
285 tires..........

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
"Thought I would spin the driveshaft 180 degrees when reinstalling it, just to see if there is any difference - or is that a bad idea?"

Wont hurt a thing ....

Mac

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for your input. It was the tires. The shop shaved the tires to make them round, re-balanced them and the vibration is gone. Sure feels good to drive 40-50 without the vibration.

Another question: How do I get the bearing cups off my old u-joints so I can replace them. Do I need a special tool to remove them without damaging the driveshaft/yoke?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts