Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a stepside bed on their truck???I backed into a tree and wrecked my bed, I was looking for a bed and side came across a stepside Z71 bed. First will it fit?? Is the bumper the same? What is everyones opinion on this? Anyone have any pictures?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
ive got no knowledge to back this up, just guessing off the top of my head that it wouldnt work..., Theyre only available on 1/2 tons, and id assume the frames are different between 1/2& HD's... those boxes are pretty small, so your also loosing just about all hauling abilites w/in the box.. and IMO might look kinda funky on a 3/4 ton...
But again, this is just off the top of my head and my opionon

·
Registered
74 Posts
I switched bed styles on my half ton. No difference at all. I highly doubt there would be a difference between the half and three quarter. Just get out a measuring tape. I think it would look pretty nice. I lifted my half ton six inches and put bigger tires. That is what really makes the stepside stand out but that will kill your hauling/towing abilities.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is a green 01 or 02 Duramax running around Lincoln here with a stepside bed. Looks pretty cool. Not sure about the bumper but other than that I would say it's a straight bolt on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I doubt this is of much help but in the august 2003 issue of four wheeler magazine the cover truck is a '02 silverado 2500hd duramax and he swapped a step side bed onto it. I've searched for the past 30 mins but cant come up with anything. IMO it flows alright with the rest of the truck, not for me but it doesnt look bad. Maybe someone else on here had better luck. The article is called "crowd pleaser". I'll keep looking. Pete

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, Im not worried about losing hauling abilities I have plenty of trailers to use and the only things I would haul are my motorcycle and quad and they would both still fit. Thanks I will post some pics when it is done.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes it will fit. I have a half ton bed and bumper on my truck. The only difference in the bumper is the 1/2 inch vertical section of the cap that hides a small gap between the bed and the frame on the rail itself. (pics in my garage.) If you didn't mess up the upper cap on the bumper, you can remove it and reuse it.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well looks like the DMax will not get the stepside bed. I went to pick it up today and it has some damage that i hadn't seen before, it has a few cracks and on the under side there are a few spots where its broken, I wanted to just have a bed painted and put it on. So I will just have my fleetside bed fixed. Oh well it was an idea!!!!!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
it will work though there was a red one for sale on gmfullsize a while back that had a stepside bed

kinda takes away the use of having a 3/4 ton truck though

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it looks pretty cool too, but I will have to wait and find one. If anyone knows of anyone who has one or if you come across one let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
yea i my self dont kno but i did see a 2500 last week as matter a fact an it had the flare side or sportside on it i dont think it was actually a stepside semm to have same bed size. but it looked real good. mybe the bed side was diff ??? goodluck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts