Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can tow this behind a motor home or what it would take to do so?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you have a K2500HD with electronic shift 4x4, just hold the two buttons on the transfer case control that go to the "N". I believe you hold the 4Low and 2Hi buttons simultaneously. The transfer case then disengages and the axles freewheel. Of course, the vehicle will then roll even if it is in park. The owner's manual covers this capability and all the associated cautions!!! I don't know about 2 wheel drive vehicles

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 4x4s can all be flat towed with the T-case in neutral.

The 2WDs can only be flat towed with the drive shaft disconnected.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Your Duramax has so much power that you should be pulling the Motorhome with the Dmax

·
Registered
197 Posts
The other night I was reading through the Helm's manual on this and one of the statements describing the operation of the NP1 transfer case confused me. The statement was something to the effect that "with a disconnect" the vehicle can be towed in a 4x neutral mode. This implies that the front and rear axles are locked together via the transfer case If this is the case, wouldn't the front axle bind the wheels in a turn? I'm questioning this because the manual didn't really state that the vehicle actually had the "disconnect." It read more like this would have to be added, but didn't explicitely state that. I'm pretty sure the owner's manual says that we can tow four down, but that statement really got me thinking. (I'll have to look at the exact wording this evening as I don't have the manual in front of me.)

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
You can tow a 2500 behind your motorhome but why not purchase a long trailer to haul it, as the miles you put on your motorhome will also add up on your truck (CORRECT?). I was under the impression that when you tow a vehicle that the miles will add up as well. I could be wrong. Someone tell if I am. Just curious about that myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The wheels and driveshafts will be turning, but the input shaft to the transfer case and the transmission won't be turning, so I don't think the odometer will show any increase.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Mileage will not add up on the odometer. But there will be tire wear, and a certain amount of drive line wear as well.

If you were going to do it a lot you might want to consider getting a fifth wheel.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
That has to be hard on the steering components...

Ever tried to turn the wheel of the Duramax when its off? Its a job, nearly impossible...

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Your Duramax has so much power that you should be pulling the Motorhome with the Dmax

Haven't u heard of diesel pushers, that would be a good one.

Put the wife in the Dmax and really go up the hills

·
Registered
285 Posts
Haha, that's funny my grandparents have a Monster Diesel pusher with like a 12 L cat in it and a 6 speed allison and boy does it haul when it's turned up. Anyway, on to the point, they tow a geo tracker (I know I know). The miles do not go on it but there is tire wear. You can tow with the transfercase in N but I believe you cannot go faster then 55 mph for 2 hours or something like that unless you have an aftermarket electric pump installed. Camping world would know the answer to this check them out.

Lenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts