Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Mrs. Redmax. Hubby took our 2003 2500 HD and new Cameo fiver to a CAT scale today. With him out of truck and camper empty, we were within 300 lbs of GVWR for truck. Not good.

I think obvious choice is new 2004 dually 3500 with crew cab, long box, 4x4, Duramax/Allison. We can get an okay deal with trade. Hubby says ask you folks. Anyone upgraded for more GVWR? Pros and cons of 3500's? Mileage differences?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've never had a 2500, I started with a 3500. Tow a 32' Haulmark bumper tow. Don't even know it's back there!!

I average 15.5 - 16 mpg around town and on the highway combined. If I do just highway I do about 16.5, if I keep my foot out of it I can get 18.

I've actually never checked the towing mileage.

Love the 3500 and would never consdier towing a big trailer with anything but a dually.

Besides they look cool!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made the run to weigh in & look at a 3500. Steady 70 mph on interstate, impressive towing. My 2500 weighs in at 8900 lb with the trailer attached , a full tank of fuel, and no driver. The trailer is dry & empty so we're going to be way over on the truck gvwr when we're loaded up to travel. Looked at the 3500 & took a test drive. I hate to part with my first new truck (3000 miles on her) but wife is not comfortable with the weights. GMC is a little misleading with their "towing/load capacities. No insult here but I think 3500's are "butt ugly". Wish you could upgrade ties without playing with warantee issues. Oh well just ranting....Dually here I come.

Dana

·
Registered
490 Posts
You may be OK. I would load the truck and trailer and go weigh the whole unit again. It is possible that you can put more weight towards the back of the trailer and remove pin weight. I believe the GCVWR of a 2500HD and 3500 are the same. (22,000 Lbs.) Only way to find out is load her up and try it again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
RMAX;

If your truck & trailer weigh 8900 lbs. thats the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (truck & cargo). You only need to stay below the Gross COMBINATION Weight Rating (truck,cargo & trailer). It is 22000 lbs for the 2500HD & 3500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was there anything in the camper? If not then yes you are indeed in the market for two more tires.

I get 18 out of mine if I keep it at 70 or below.

What is the campers GVWR?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My total weight truck and 5th wheel was 18,120 lbs. so I'm ok as far as GCWR. I'm also ok as far as front and rear axle weights (4020 ft. & 4920 rear). My problem is that "by the book" total weight on the truck shouldn't exceed the gvwr of 9200 lb. We'll be adding another 6-700 lb directly to the truck (passengers - me, wife, dog, cat, tools, fuel etc) We'll also add 1500 lbs + to the trailer (water, food, clothes, etc) 20% or so of which adds to the pin weight. So when I get all loaded the weight directly on the truck will be in the 10,000 lb range or 800 or so over the trucks gvwr. I think we'd be fine, I've been overloading a 93 3500 single wheel truck for years buttttt my passenger & navigator is concerned about running over weight. All that being said if I have to go to a dually to maintain the "comfort" level in a 22 year marriage....well guys have bigger problems

Dana

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wushaw

Trailer was essentially empty..we just bought it 2 weeks ago. 5th wheel gvwr is 14000. It weighed 11340 empty. Looks like those two new tires are going to cost me $6500 each plus one lightly used 2003 2500HD ext cab.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've seen so many people pulling a three car wedge trailer behind a 3500 D**ge, F**d or GM truck. They are pulling WAY over the trucks GVWR. They break some 6 speed transmissions I hear, but they keep going. I love my dually, much more stable when towing than a SRW. I Personally want TOO much truck. For that much trailer, how about a 4500 pick-up. I would want more than a 1200 lb increase in GVWR for $13 k.($6500 per tire)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Dang, your going to take a big hit, trading in a 2003 that soon. Someone traded in a 2003 maroon colored D/A dually at a local dealer here, (Classic Chevrolet in Mentor,OH) not sure what they want for it.

Though we had a few Dooleys to chose from, wife and I opted for the short bed extended cab. Some were only about $2K more. So far it has met our expectations. We have 4 different trailers that we pull, and the current truck seems to have a stouter set of rear springs than the 2000 SRW 3500 it replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think your will be fine as is, personally. If all your axles are within the limits and the pin weight is less then the max what would be the issue being slightly over the GVWR? Your trailer does have brakes, right? If you wander over to the rv.net forum you will see that you aren't alone. On the other hand, you got to do what makes you (or your navigator) feel comfortable. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A dooley is usually the best choice for running high pin weights or a heavy camper. However I think you will be fine running at or near the weights that you mentioned. You may want to consider heavier duty tires and air bags, but the axle shouldn't concern you.

Another idea is to modify the trailer or the way you load it. I added a forward axle to a trailer once and it worked great. You would probably want to consult a trailer shop before doing anything that you are not comfortable with.

Many of the guys that I have worked with run WAY overweight every day and somehow seem to get on just fine. It's probably not the smartest thing to do but it does seem to prove that the suggested numbers are somewhat trivial.

One more matter to think about is accident liability. I'm nothing of an expert but I think the rules vary somewhat from state to state. --SS

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Rmax what kind of $$$ are they giving u on the trade and what does the truck u want actually cost?

I work for GM and have 1 GMS supplier card (4% more than I pay) left which will get about 13-14% off MSRP plus u can use rebates.

If u want it PM me w/ your address and I'll send it out.

If anyone else wants one I can try to get more, PM me.

I've been trading trucks about every 6 months and the dealer gives me about what I paid for it on trade, so check other dealers and y may find one that will give a better deal.

My dealer usually has my trade sold before I trade it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just went through the same situation. Sold my 03 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 D/A and ordered an 04 GMC 3500 EXT Cab dually. Sure hated to make that move but my new truck arrived last week and I am getting it rigged up at the present. I bought the 03 in Jan 03 and my Jayco Designer 32 RLTS in May. I really thought I had every thing figured out, but changed my mind, took my whipping and made the change. My trailer weighs 10700 and pin weigt is 2370 (empty). I think I have made a good choice and I certainly hope you will feel the same with your choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RMAX,

The new 3500 will weigh in @8000lbs loaded and ready to go and if you load up the trailer to its gross weight of 14000 you will be at your limit which is not bad, My trailer weighed in at 15320 and I had a GCW of 23320. At that weight I had difficulty with a mountain pass going to Lake City Co. It was a little much for the truck. I think I have fixed that problem now (see sig).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again.

If your towing anything over @7500 lbs....you need a dually!~

Anything else is not safe.

Now I am talking about towing full time on long hauls.

Not a tow from your farm to your buddies farm 4 miles away.

Then of course load your hay up to 30000lbs because the duramax and allison will pull it no probs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the input. Wished I could take you up on it DMax Tim but we're closing the deal tomorrow. Sure liked that red 2500 but the new silver 3500 looks good too. Anyone got an auxillary or replacement tank on a 3500 they like. We're going to be long & bulky so I'd like to fuel up a little less often.

Thanks

Dana

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gradyghost

I don't understand your logic, care to explain? I've done alot of towing in my day and for a fifth wheel, a srw is just fine as long as the hitch weight is within your limits. I'm sure you know, but the only difference between a dually and 2500HD D/A GM is springs and dual rear wheels. You need dual rear wheels if you plan on towing a tag-a-long of any weight or length to combat sway, but not a fifth wheel or gooseneck. As a matter of fact I am rated at the factory to tow a heavier fifth wheel than a similar equiped 3500 DRW. AND, I can take my truck thru the drive thru and it will fit in my garage, or canopy while i'm on the road.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
neverenuf

If you look at one of my earlier posts I laid out the weight numbers. I was all right as far as axle weights, trailer weight, and gcwr. Where we ran into trouble was with the total weight on the truck which was about 10,000 lbs which is over the gvwr of the truck (9200 lb). I have no problem with that but Mrs. Rmax does so we pick up the new dooly today. A new srw with a gvwr of 10,000 lb is coming out next year. That might have been the answer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts