Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Laramie with a GVWR of 9900lbs that I bought new. Due to recent reliability issues with it, I am shopping new trucks. With the new RAMs using the CP4 injection pump and the price advantage I have with GM (Family First discount), I am leaning toward a GM truck this time around.

I notice that the 4x4 Duramax equipped 2500 with standard box has a GVWR of 11350 vs 12100 on the 3500. That's not a huge difference. And, the GM 2500 has only a slightly lower GVWR than the new RAM 3500 short box (11800).

My Arctic Fox 12Klb fifth wheel probably has about 2400lbs on the pin. My existing truck doesn't squat too much (right at level or maybe just a smidge nose up) with the trailer attached. But, I still feel my older Dodge truck is at its max when towing this trailer.

I'm wondering what is the difference between the GM Duramax 4x4 Std bed 2500 vs 3500 rear suspension (SRW)? Both of these trucks are rated higher than my existing one. I don't ever expect to go larger with my trailer. If anything, I would go smaller/lighter. I realize the cost difference between the 2 is minimal and, ordinarily, I'd be the first to say, "Get the 3500". But, if insurance and registration are less here in Cailfornia (I need to confirm that), it might be worthwhile considering the 2500.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
315 Posts
2019 and older is just an overload spring difference.
2020 is a different axle, bigger brakes etc. lots of posts about the new trucks on here...
You will LOVE your new truck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts