Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some help. Im looking to get about 2 or 3 inches of lift in the rear and would also like an improved ride. I have been told 2 inch blocks would cause axle wrap...is this true? and how bad? also i was thinking about the firestone bags...i know they serve many purposes but could they safely lift the rear 2 or 3 inches. I know larger shocks are needed but could i do without them for a while...Thanks for any information:chevy:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
id say airbags...i think they would serve you best, esspecially if you are going to be towing sumthin BIG!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My 2" blocks on my 06 LBZ CC 4X4 have not caused anyh axel wrap in over 30,000 miles of fairly hard use and towing. Bilstein shocks did not need extenders when installed. All works perfectly. Truck weighs 9200 with fuel load (134 gals) and all the everyday equipment on it. Trips to Mexico it weighs 12,500 to 14,000 lbs with gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but still having a hard time deciding....do bags help much with ride if i would be using them to lift truck a couple inches

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
michael leblanc;1578869; said:
Thanks for the replies but still having a hard time deciding....do bags help much with ride if i would be using them to lift truck a couple inches
airbags will not improve ride. they will actually make it worse, especially if you have them pumped up to gain you 2-3". my suggestion would be to get 2" blocks. they arent large enough to give you any axle wrap unless your pushing alot more power than stock. any larger than 2" will probably start having wrap issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay well it looks like i will be goin with blocks.....any recommendations

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Add a leaf and re-arch the springs for a nice mild lift and good ride.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
buy or make ya some trac bars if your really concerned with axle wrap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kennedy;1579443; said:
Add a leaf and re-arch the springs for a nice mild lift and good ride.
Can you elaborate on this a little more? Where would you get the extra leaf and what is "re-arch"?

I am interested in lifting my truck about 2 inches in the front and rear.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry for the short "Hijack" but it is pertinent to your thread! for the dumb and stupid (i.e. me) what is axel wrap? I have seen it mentioned before but not explained. How difficult is it to add blocks?

thanks, '

now back to your normal programming.

Steve

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Chris Iglehart;1579674; said:
Can you elaborate on this a little more? Where would you get the extra leaf and what is "re-arch"?

I am interested in lifting my truck about 2 inches in the front and rear.
You'll have to find a spring shop. I had my 2002 done by the "old school" guys at Wausau Spring and alignment. They hand hammer the leaves to form a tighter arch. They did all but the main leaf do to hassle of removal.

The 3500 already has another leaf and IMHO rides better (SRW) than the 2500. A bit more firm, but much less bounce and rebound.

Traction bars like Caltracs are a definite good suggestion especially when lifting the rear. The rear axle will rotate the pinion upwards messing with the driveshaft angles, contibuting to wheel hop etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a shop in my town that does that kind of work.

If I get my springs re-arched or add 2 inch blocks do I need to get longer shocks?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
again thanks for all the help, dont have any "spring" shops around here so im pretty sure ill go with blocks but still dont know if i should get 2 or 2.5.....some friends said 2.5 blocks would look stupid, any more info is appreciated

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i would go with just 2" the higher you go the bigger chance of axle wrap. add a leafs or getting it rearched will result in a rougher, firmer ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Z71 Offroader and everyone else for all the help, i will order the 2 inch blocks, also i would assume installation would be fairly easy.....any tricks or things to keep in mind

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Chris Iglehart;1579674; said:
Where would you get the extra leaf and what is "re-arch"?
there is a place in owensboro that does that kinda work.

edit: just seen your other post, guess you already know about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I raised mine 2 inches front and rear. Cognito in the front with factory parts in the rear. Check out my garage for the part numbers and details for the Blocks and U-bolts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the replies i went and got a set from a local auto parts store, but had to return them because the u bolts were the same size as the stock ones and they "u" style instead of square ended....anyway i think i might just purchase the gm ones as they seem to be the same price as aftermarket parts........if anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to input, thanks Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts