Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the biggest tires I can fit without modding anything.

I see that the 235/85's will fit without touching each other, will 245/85's fit without touching each other?

If I put a 1/4 inch spacer will the 245's fit?

Where can I get the spacer?

What size front tire should I go with?

Should I crank the torsion bars up a little?

Thanks for your help guys.

Chad

:beerchug:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did'nt know there was a 245/85 available. As for front's, I'd run the same size, other wise you might end up with different size tires front and back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm running 235/85/16 in the rear and there is plenty of room in between without a spacer. Makes me think that a 245/85 would fit, but I don't know anyone who makes a tire in that size. If you do, let me know.

In front, I don't like the skinny look of the 235s so I run a 265/75/16 because (according to the Michelin specs) it is the same overall diameter within 1/10th of an inch. Some here might not condone this practice, but I feel that tire pressure alone that is different front to rear can create as much as 1/10th of an inch difference. No torsion crank at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There might not be a 245/85, just asking b/c I want to get tires SOON!
I want the front tires to be wider than the rear tires, I'm not worried about rotating them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my 97 4x4 dually I had 235/85's before installing the 4" kit and 255's. I just asummed the 235's were stock size? In any case, I have no doubt whatsoever that a 235 will not fit your truck.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
First off, it would help a lot if you would fill out your sig with year, model,
mods, etc. that way members can give you a more accurate answer. Now, I'm guessin' you have a dually, and 235/85/16's will fit your truck. Depending on tire type, psi used, load, etc. they may or may not touch (inside rear duals). Some guys have no issues at all while others run spacers, which can be found here--> http://www.wheeladapter.com/
The 245's you speak of are actually 245/75/16, not 245/85, and they will also fit as they are almost exactly the same height as the stock 215/85/16's that come on the truck. However, they are almost an inch wider and I doubt you could run them without spacers. You have some options, other than stock, and they are:

1. 245/85/16 all around (spacers).
2. 235/85/16 rear duals and 265/75/16 fronts (these 2 sizes are almost the same height and should not cause any problems with the PCM).
3. 255/85/16 all around (PCM programming and spacers required)
4. Stock size 215/85/16 rear duals and 245/75/16 fronts. This gives a little more tire up front (both about the same height).

When I say almost the same height I'm taalkin' about .1" difference. This is less than if you had a tire 3 or 4 psi low on air. One last thing, the 265/75/16 mentioned in #2 has a manufacturer recommendation of a 7" wide wheel minimum for that tire size, and 2500 & 3500 wheels are 6.5". There are a bunch of guys that run this combo without issue. Good luck and post a pic or two when you're done.
JP

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The real key is what air pressure are you going to run? If you run them at a high pressure the 235/85's should not rub. However the truck is going to ride horrible when you don't have a load on it. If you let the air down to match the load, you might see a time when they kiss together, because they will be squatting a lot more. If you keep them aired up tight, then you should not have an issue. I personally, could not stand to ride like that, but everyone has different tolerances for rough riding.

I have not had any experiences with spacers, as I don't have a dually, but I would think those would put a greater strain on your hubs and lug studs. Not sure what you are hauling, but that would be one concern, as well as added expense. One thing to remember is that if the sidewalls touch together, your tires will fail at a very quick rate. Keep that in mind. You will have to watch your air pressures much more with the 235 setup on there.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have not had any experiences with spacers, as I don't have a dually, but I would think those would put a greater strain on your hubs and lug studs. Not sure what you are hauling, but that would be one concern, as well as added expense.
The right spacers won't hurt your truck. A good set will bolt to the inside dual and have it's own studs for mounting the outside dual, and it will maintain hub centric fitment. You are right about one thing, they ain't cheap...about $240 per pair, but they are a whole lot cheaper than tire failure at 70mph with a trailer attached...;)

One thing to remember is that if the sidewalls touch together, your tires will fail at a very quick rate. Keep that in mind. You will have to watch your air pressures much more with the 235 setup on there.
Good Luck.
:exactly: :thumb: :gr_grin:
JP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tiller, Here you go...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts