Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly our 4x4 LLY LT CCSB will be here anytime now (well believe it when we see it), but we are going to be putting a set of big wheels on it. In the past we have had lifted trucks and have decided to not hassle with the dealers claims of "modification" of suspension and such. My question is, has anyone on here put a set of 22 inch wheels on their D/A? Have they had any luck with 305/45/22 tires? That is the biggest 22 inch tire we can find that wont require a lift for sure...Also, has anyone lowered the rear down to match the front instead of lifting the front (torsions or green keys)? We aren't looking to make a low rider just a nice looking CC that can tow and get better gas mileage than a gasser We don't tow alot of weight (under 3k) so we aren't concerned with the load rating of the tires... Any suggestions or anything we should look out for? We are having the wheels and tires installed by a friend's wheel and tire shop that has been around for years and years, he says... NO problems, just a little trimming. I just know that everyone on here has great suggestions so I would be crazy to not ask your advice.

TIA- J.. Se7enracing.comEdited by: se7enracing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm suprised no one has any comments on this subject. Seems there is always a ton of advice or opinions on every other subject... Are 22 inch wheels that foreign on a D/A? Around here in Seattle you see a lot of trucks with 20in wheels on the Duramax. I just figure, why not step it up if I've got the room?

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I was on Kumho site and didn't see your tire size, but the 325/40-22 didn't have any weight rating.

Even pulling a lite trailer u still need a decent tire, atleast 2500 but 3000# cap. would be better.

The CC are nose heavy and w/ 5 normal passengers the front axle is carrying 5000#+/-.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm just going to ask Why. Why lower a 4 wheel drive, How old are you may I ask if you prefer so it won't be harder to get in the truck. Hope I'm not making you mad

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dmax Tim, if you go onto Kumho's international site they don't list the 305/45/22 size, but if you go to their Us site kumhousa.com they have it listed but they don't list specs. We did a little research on the load capacity for 22 inch tires and supposedly the Kumhos were one of the best for that size (per the tire guys). We also looked at Falken, Toyo & Nitto. Everyone was right at the same #'s... The Falkens cam in at 2910R (reinforced). Toyo at 2910. Nitto @ 2910 as well. Do you think that we will have a problem at around the 2900 mark? Thanks for your input.

Z71Grizzly, no your not making me mad. I'm 31 yrs old. Ive lifted pretty much every vehicle I have owned previously and actually LOVE them BUT I am trying to stay warranty friendly. There is just something about dealerships that smile when you pull in with a 50k truck and say, if it wasn't for the lift it would be covered... Due to the manufacturers restrictions.....blah blah blah. Now, with the 22 inch wheels I have a bit of concern there as well. I have talked with my 3 closest dealers. All 3 of them had concerns with the lift I wanted (6 in RCD) and they said the wheels should NOT be a concern UNLESS I had wheel bearing issues or something that could be directly releated to the oversized wheels... So... until the warranty is up, stock height (I do want to level it) and chrome wheels it is...

Thanks for your comments though.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your truck and are you going to do anything else to it? Thank's Adam

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam, Well.... I'm one of the luck ones that is waiting on my truck to arrive due to the infamous "diesel" hold back in good ol' Flint, MI. Supposedly mine was finally released last Saturday after being held over a month. I have been buying and ordering parts for months since I ordered the truck. I don't have any pics of the Chev but I can show you the truck I just got rid of... 02 Ram Loaded with every option with Rancho 4 in lift 18in BFG mud terrains, 18 in chrome welds, snuglid, and pretty much every little thing I could do to it. Total body repaint, cleared & color sanded after paint, de badged, flares, PIAAs... Set it up to keep it BUT I hated taking it to the shop every 2 weeks because of the check engine light...SO... Chevy here I come!!!

Can't wait for my LLY!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it was a 2002 1500 SLT Plus(Laramie) Sport (pulled the 20's off). It had the 5.9L 360 in it. We ran a single 3 inch Cat back, Volant intake, Jet chip (why?) & 180 thermo. She skooted even with the 35in MTs on her. Just seemed to have every other little reason to have the check engine light come on. OH yeah, and had 3 trannys put in it before I lifted it. Sorry probably more than you wanted to know... I am still a little bitter about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts