Diesel Place banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had my first knowing encounter with a 2.8L Duramax can a couple of weeks ago.
I had just parked my 2005 Benz diesel in a big strip mall parking lot and was walking into the grocery store.
Traffic at one of the lights out of the complex backs up through the parking lot and in front of the strip mall.
As I was waiting for incoming traffic before walking across the backup, I realized I was hearing diesel noise. Then I realized it was OBVIOUSLY 4 cylinder diesel noise. I looked around and realized it was coming from an Express van in the backup waiting to get out of the mall parking lot. It was a FedEx delivery vehicle.
The light turned and I had to wait for the backup to move past me before I could cross, so I got to see/listen to the van move for a few seconds.

Hardly a life changing experience, but the first one I'd noticed even though they've been out for four years at this point.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I made a video of my 2.8 van - bought after a little accident - with the cooling stack and doghouse removed - you might enjoy -
You fixing that up for yourself? Get a good deal on the van?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
We have small update on the GM fleet website and it is basically useless. Under vans they have 1 model for 2021 and it is the Chevy Express Passenger van but all the others are still 2020. It looks like there might be a base price increase of $1,500. You still cannot build/price it and on the Chevy website they are still only showing 2020. Personally I think it is embarrassing for GM how they half -ass everything to do with vans.

Reactions: Sparkys Tacoma

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
We have small update on the GM fleet website and it is basically useless. Under vans they have 1 model for 2021 and it is the Chevy Express Passenger van but all the others are still 2020. It looks like there might be a base price increase of $1,500. You still cannot build/price it and on the Chevy website they are still only showing 2020. Personally I think it is embarrassing for GM how they half -ass everything to do with vans.
GM is losing the work van sales because they ignore it. They are only doing the 6.6 gas engine to streamline it with the trucks.
Adding a taller roof, even if it’s on the existing line it would boost sales, factory 4x4 since they already have all the parts and capability to do it, more standard features like a tow hitch, 4g setup are all things GM has and would require little effort.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
GM is losing the work van sales because they ignore it. They are only doing the 6.6 gas engine to streamline it with the trucks.
Adding a taller roof, even if it’s on the existing line it would boost sales, factory 4x4 since they already have all the parts and capability to do it, more standard features like a tow hitch, 4g setup are all things GM has and would require little effort.
Optional roof heights has got to be at the top of the list for most people. It is ridiculous how far apart vans are from trucks in tech. They are easily 10 years behind and I do not need all the fancy stuff but 1-2 things would be nice.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Heck. Look how long we keep our current vans. There's no point in buying a new van when it looks identical to the old.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Optional roof heights has got to be at the top of the list for most people. It is ridiculous how far apart vans are from trucks in tech. They are easily 10 years behind and I do not need all the fancy stuff but 1-2 things would be nice.
I see plenty of Ford and Sprinter delivery vans in this area. Guess what? The vast majority are high roof.

Barra seems to think it's ok to exit any market segment that isn't highly profitable right now. The trouble is, sooner or later you run out of market segments to exit.

And maybe, just maybe, you're not selling enough in those less profitable segments because you haven't been keeping up with the competition.

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,200 Posts
I am a Chevy guy. But when it came time for a service van, the express wasn't near the top 3. Granted I do not tow with my van. It's about payload and Tool carry. Low floor was a huge consideration for me. Lifting heavy items into the back of a lifted vehicles keeps chiropractors in business. Stepping in should be easy, not comparable to a hike up mount everest.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #150

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There are 5 big van, van like sellers. Chevy Nissan Ford ram. And Mercedes. 20% is a nice even share

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Here we are in mid October and you still cannot even build/price a GM 2021 van. Surprisingly Ford is the same way but you can do it for a Ram Promaster. I do not think you have been able to order a new GM van since like Spring. I wonder if they have even test fit the 6.6 gas engine yet to figure out what specific parts need to made for the van chassis ? I suppose if that has not been yet it will be a while before we see one.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Here we are in mid October and you still cannot even build/price a GM 2021 van. Surprisingly Ford is the same way but you can do it for a Ram Promaster. I do not think you have been able to order a new GM van since like Spring. I wonder if they have even test fit the 6.6 gas engine yet to figure out what specific parts need to made for the van chassis ? I suppose if that has not been yet it will be a while before we see one.
They will be on the lots before they update the web site

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
They will be on the lots before they update the web site
You are probably right then someone at GM will complain they have to update the website. I wish they would send one to TFL Truck to test out towing, MPG, etc. They are not perfect but I think they do a decent job of testing and reviews. Also I would like to see a side by side testing of cargo vans like they do trucks. I do not think anybody would be brave enough to take a Promaster at max towing capacity over the Ike Gauntlet.

Reactions: Sparkys Tacoma

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hell I'd drive my promaster up the Ike. Let me empty my tools and trailer haha empty small trailer from harbor freight

Reactions: ShopSpecialties
141 - 156 of 156 Posts