Diesel Place banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Also upon further reading that starting in October 2018 that 3rd shift is when the vans were made in Wentzville. So I am not sure if that is still the same today but that does not look good for van production. If Ford is not having issues making vans then I see them taking an even bigger sales lead.

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,200 Posts
They may only make special orders. But if that's the case there will be nothing new for 2021. If they made nothing they would hand over too much to ford. That'd sting a lot in the board meetings.

But as the extra unemployment portion is supposed to end. Might be some of those are looking to RUN BACK to work

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I am sure anything new like the 6.6 gasser and maybe some other little pointless things will still go through. As far as I know there was no major body/frame changes that would require retooling. We have had basically the same van for 17 years straight and so I honestly do not think there is a whole lot of care for it. They probably just talk about trucks, Corvettes and SUV in board meetings. Ford is already selling more Transit than everyone else put together. Those workers are union so they will get paid. The UAW is backing them and this could turn into a big mess. Just last year Missouri lawmakers approved a package of $50 million in tax subsidies over 10 years for GM. In order to qualify for it they must have at least 90% of the workforce present.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I am sure it is just a coincidence but I find it funny after my dumb complaining they started to put up some info on the GM fleet site.
The L8T 6.6 gasser is officially listed as an available option and it shows it at full power 401HP/464TQ which hopefully that remains true. 6 speed and 3.42 rear axle are standard with no optional gears. Curb weight for a 3500 extended with L8T is 5,757. Towing is at the usual 10K.

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,200 Posts
High top?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
No high top and my guess we will only see one when they do a completely new van.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I am thinking that 18 MPG highway should be very possible to achieve. Especially when you see some truck guys hitting 17 on the highway. The truck weighs at least 1,000# more, ground clearance is 2"+ higher, the frontal area of a 79 Freigthliner COE, and I am not sure how many RPM they are turning but my guess would be 200-300 higher ?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
If my math is correct I am wrong about the RPM. I think they will be about the same since the trucks run like a 3" taller tire than the van.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am sure it is just a coincidence but I find it funny after my dumb complaining they started to put up some info on the GM fleet site.
The L8T 6.6 gasser is officially listed as an available option and it shows it at full power 401HP/464TQ which hopefully that remains true. 6 speed and 3.42 rear axle are standard with no optional gears. Curb weight for a 3500 extended with L8T is 5,757. Towing is at the usual 10K.
You going to buy it? You've come this long, might as well wait until they redesign..... Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
You going to buy it? You've come this long, might as well wait until they redesign..... Hopefully soon.
I dunno what I am going to do. This setup has me very interested but I would like a high roof. Who knows when a redesign is coming and I am worried it will be uni-body junk with a small screaming engine. Right now I need to R&R 6 injectors at a cost of about $2,400 which are returning to much hot fuel causing me to lose big MPG. Also some other big $$$ failures have to be coming my way since I am closing in on 500,000 miles. Then factor in the nationwide circus going on is costing me $$ also. Right now I am doing some short/long term math and nothing looks great.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A few things I noticed.
The 6.6L L8T now comes with 9,900 GVWR.
RPO code PSR - Power steering reservoir with glass sight, for checking fluid level
2.8L LWN not available on cutaways (or perhaps it never has been).

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
A few things I noticed.
The 6.6L L8T now comes with 9,900 GVWR.
RPO code PSR - Power steering reservoir with glass sight, for checking fluid level
2.8L LWN not available on cutaways (or perhaps it never has been).
I just saw the PSR code also which I do not ever remember seeing that before. I think it might be a special fleet order thing only. Just like the orange seat belt option and there was a couple other paint color options which you had to order a minimum of 5.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would like to find out the part # for the PSR reservoir and retrofit to my van one day. Would be nice to just see the level instead of having to wash your hands every time.

The 4 standard color options are miserable. No Peeling White for obvious reasons, and no Black for me because here in SoCal it'll be an oven during the day year round. But if you order 5 vans, you get 18 additional colors to choose from: 5 shades of Yellow, 2 shades of Blue, Green, Inca Gold, Silver Metallic, Green Woodland, Victory Red, Tangier Orange, Dark Toreador Red, Petro Blue, Dark Blue Metallic, Silver Birch Metallic, Wheatland Yellow.

Almost makes it worth to order 5 vans in the color you want and sell the other 4, although I am not nearly that rich.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I found the reservoir and I do not want it now.
23242109_Primary__ra_p.jpg
Part # 23242109.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Apparently this reservoir has been available since 2014 but this is the first time I have ever heard about it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So the sight glass is at the bottom. So it will only show if you're almost empty. Still have to open to see the level....

·
Registered
296 Posts
2001 - optional engine is a L18 8.1L - 340hp, 455 lbft, 4L80 trans. Standard radio is AM/FM, optional CD.
2021 - optional engine is a L8T 6.6L - 401hp, 464 lbft, 6L90 trans. Standard radio is AM/FM, optional CD and AUX port.

In 20 years we gained: digital tach, 2 transmission speeds, and a bunch of airbags and seat pretensioners. Things are slow in the van world.

I suspect when heavy towing, the L8T will be faster than L18 off the line, but pulling a 7% grade with 10k lbs trailer the would be nearly identical, or a bit faster due to more available gears.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
The diesel option lost 4 cylinders, 79HP/156TQ, and 3,000# towing but gained 4 speeds in the transmission all with the same body.
We have a backup cam and the guvment tracking device they call OnStar now also.

Reactions: Sparkys Tacoma

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I think the 6.6 will be better all around towing and better mileage. GM really choked the performance of the 8.1, it had great potential.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I see we have a lil more progress today from GM. The 2021 fleet guide has finally been released. Basically the same info listed in the order guide but easier to read. You still cannot build/price on the Chevy/GMC websites yet but you would think that would be coming soon.

121 - 140 of 156 Posts