Diesel Place banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Might be the ram 2021 I read they bumped it up. And the transit was a 2017 I saw that had a high capacity
The 1500 ram van tows the most, 7110lbs.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,200 Posts
I think that's funny. And as a owner on one and with the diesel. I have 4k in the back. I would not tow even 5k more. This is a great service van. But no way a tow rig. That's what my dually is for!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If they are dropping the 6.0,how about dropping the van axles and brakes and put the truck setup in?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Than it would look like a bastard child between the Nissan and last year of super duty inspired econoline

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I think that's funny. And as a owner on one and with the diesel. I have 4k in the back. I would not tow even 5k more. This is a great service van. But no way a tow rig. That's what my dually is for!
You have 4,000# in the back and the 4 cyl diesel that only makes 174 horse and 295 torque ? I bet that thing downshifts when a bug hits the windshield.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Vans have shared brakes/axles with trucks over the years so does not make any sense to me. Straight hood and bigger grill for more airflow ? I am sure it will flow enough for the 6.6 gas as is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What about the 6l90 torque converter? How will that handle more hp? They don’t last much more than 100,000 mi with a 6.0 if used for towing.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
What about the 6l90 torque converter? How will that handle more hp? They don’t last much more than 100,000 mi with a 6.0 if used for towing.
The 6.6 gas trucks are using a different converter than the 6.0 vans did. Trucks are rated to tow more so I think it will be fine in the vans. Keep it cool with quality fluid and I would not have any worries yet until I start hearing about trucks having problems.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Actually it's about as fast as a prius. But I cannot roll coal so blowing by one doesn't have the same flair as if I did a slam down accel and rolled a puff or two of black out from my 6.5TD. I love the 21mpg city and 27 avg highway with high of 39mpg at 62mph pure straight. And off the line I can beat any snail out there. And half the tortoises too! It's a daily driver but no soul! I think I clicked off a 15 second 0-60. But I will never tow with it as I'm sure the trailer would push around the back half horribly. I saw my HVAC guy with a dump trailer behind him today. I think it was a easy 10k plus a loaded box. But he was on bump stops. Is that normal for you guys?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I have upgraded leaf springs and SumoSprings but I have never been on the bump stops in the past. When I hauled a 8,500# forklift once with a big heavy turd of a trailer 50 miles it was squatting pretty good that day.
I agree with you about the towing with the Ram Promaster. I think it would be a lil scary of a ride on some of the roads I travel towing. That 7,000# seems like a lot of weight for a uni-body FWD. For city use though I bet it is just fine. For me traveling in Montana with some hills...headwinds...remote dirt/gravel roads.....sometimes towing while maybe putting on 600 miles in a day I need something a little more sturdy and powerful.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I noticed on the Ram website they have a tiny little footnote about towing, "When properly equipped. See dealer for details." So does the dealer try to sell you a truck also to do your towing ? I would feel much better towing with a Transit the same weight. They have more optional power, 10 speed, optional 4.10, RWD, etc.

Reactions: Sparkys Tacoma

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My dad used to call that the radiator cap pass. Take you radiator cap off. Have someone pull that pos out and drive a new vehicle underneath your hand and put the cap on. Great upgrade that'll allow you to tow more! I agree that the transit will tow better than the ram. I have seen guys tow way too heavy using a sprinter. I think I'd rather have the transit for towing. But the Nissan and chevy are actual trucks under those panels.

Side note back in the late 80s we would tow heavy with a 5.0L or 5.7L and how much power did those have. 185 hp and 250 to 300 torque? That falls right in with these newer smaller motors. They just can't compare to a big block torque curve

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Also back then many came with 4.10 gears to help with towing. All manufacturers today have these small screaming engines that I am not a big fan of for when it comes to towing. I like the 6-10 speed transmissions though.
Right now I am looking at Sprinter specs and it looks like 5,000# towing across the board. They have a 4500, high roof, 170" wheelbase extended with a 6,200 payload capacity powered by a 6 cyl diesel and 7 speed. The diesel is rated at 188 horse and 325 torque so when you load it up that is gonna be slow ride anywhere. With 15' of cargo floor space I could haul all my usual stuff, heater, tank, and a couple chubby farm girls.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I stopped and looked at some new sprinters today. I got to say that if I didn't need to tow, I'd have bought one. They are nice. Even the low roof you can almost stand up. Plus I didn't know they offer 4x4, though it lifts the van some. I wonder if these new ones will rust as bad as the old ones.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Also back then many came with 4.10 gears to help with towing. All manufacturers today have these small screaming engines that I am not a big fan of for when it comes to towing. I like the 6-10 speed transmissions though.
Right now I am looking at Sprinter specs and it looks like 5,000# towing across the board. They have a 4500, high roof, 170" wheelbase extended with a 6,200 payload capacity powered by a 6 cyl diesel and 7 speed. The diesel is rated at 188 horse and 325 torque so when you load it up that is gonna be slow ride anywhere. With 15' of cargo floor space I could haul all my usual stuff, heater, tank, and a couple chubby farm girls.
The sprinters are nice but just lack power for towing, the unibody kills it as well.
I stopped and looked at some new sprinters today. I got to say that if I didn't need to tow, I'd have bought one. They are nice. Even the low roof you can almost stand up. Plus I didn't know they offer 4x4, though it lifts the van some. I wonder if these new ones will rust as bad as the old ones.
I hope not, I see them 2-3 years old with rust on the panels and not even in the bottoms where you’d expect it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Those Sprinter are not cheap and I hear parts are expensive. The older ones were absolute junk. Windshields falling out and at least one rear diff a year. There was a lot of horror stories from UPS here that I could never bring myself to buy one.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I didn't buy the sprinter due to owners complaining about the expense of the repair

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Well here we are in late July and still zero info about the van. When you go the the GM fleet site and search deeper into the online order/distribution guide there is nothing. There is literally some kind of info for every single model except the van.
Did a little more research and it appears at the Wentzville plant where the vans and colorado/canyon are made there is an employee problem this month. People are not showing up for work so GM had to cut back from 3 shifts a day to just 2. Those trucks are selling well right now so they will obviously get priority over the vans. Rumors have it that the UAW might be or will be pushing GM to shut down plants during this circus we have going on.
If things continue like this is it possible that GM will not make any vans for 2021 ?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts